Replacing Mills 10 stop Reel Strips

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Replacing Mills 10 stop Reel Strips

Postby Bally Bill » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:49 am

Hello All, I want to replace the reel strips on this modified Mills/Pace machine but some and not all of the payouts are off by one symbol. I "am not sure but the symbols for the 10 stop reels seem like the reel strip symbols is for a 20 stop mechanism? Not sure on this subject but i included a picture of a win of 4 coins with the symbol of Cherry/Cherry/Orange but think it should be a Bell. Thank you Bill

20 symbols per reel with #1 starting from left side

#1 Reel=(2) Lemon (5) Cherry (4) Orange (3) Plum (4) Bells (2) Bell/Fruit
#2 Reel=(0) Lemon (5) Cherry (5) Orange (3) Plum (5) Bells (2) Bell/Fruit
#3 Reel=(3) Lemon (0) Cherry (5) Orange (5) Plum (4) Bells (3) Bell/Fruit
Attachments
10 stop reel lemon symbol.jpg
Mod Mills 2 cherrys and bell maybe.jpg
Mod Mills Awards Card.jpg
Bally Bill

Re: Replacing Mills 10 stop Reel Strips

Postby MONTI » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:46 am

Bally Bill wrote:Hello All, I want to replace the reel strips on this modified Mills/Pace machine but some and not all of the payouts are off by one symbol. I "am not sure but the symbols for the 10 stop reels seem like the reel strip symbols is for a 20 stop mechanism? Not sure on this subject but i included a picture of a win of 4 coins with the symbol of Cherry/Cherry/Orange but think it should be a Bell. Thank you Bill

20 symbols per reel with #1 starting from left side

#1 Reel=(2) Lemon (5) Cherry (4) Orange (3) Plum (4) Bells (2) Bell/Fruit
#2 Reel=(0) Lemon (5) Cherry (5) Orange (3) Plum (5) Bells (2) Bell/Fruit
#3 Reel=(3) Lemon (0) Cherry (5) Orange (5) Plum (4) Bells (3) Bell/Fruit

This portion of the RICK FRINK Reel Strip Catalog may help you and you can contact him for ordering the reel strips!
He is and has been for many years the go to guy for reel strips since the late 70's early 80's!
The reel sequence or the order of the symbols on each reel, which you do not show are very important with every other one only used for payouts in a 10 stop slot machine configuration which I am sure you understand!
Also if the reel strips are carefully removed there should be a number on the bottom of each reel strip designating the usage however it is apparent that what you have is a mixed combination of reel strips or appears to be!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

RICK FRINK REEL STRIPS.pdf
(3.63 MiB) Downloaded 103 times
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby oldslotman » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:00 am

There is only one three bell payout on a ten stop. The symbols on the reel strips will be the last/bottom bell. Set the reel disc for the three bell payout and then install your reel strips accordingly .
oldslotman

Postby MONTI » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:25 am

I am assuming from what you have shown on the reels pictured that the reel strip sequence you have is similar to the one below on the left from Rick Frink's Catalog!
And also as Old Slotman stated if you look at every other symbol starting from the Three Bells the Triple Bars could only come up once when aligned accordingly!
Ciao!
MONTI

MILLS 10 STOP1a.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby Bally Bill » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:39 pm

Per oldslotman suggestion I lined up all the 3 bells making sure the payout fingers and reel stops were locked and this is the symbol sequence that I have but I don"t see that on the picture you posted Monti. Should I line up each payout symbol/fingers and mark the reel symbols with tape?
Attachments
Bell Fingers in 3 holes on reel.jpg
3 bells lined up.jpg
Bally Bill

Postby MONTI » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:38 pm

From the latest photo of the reels, strip #2 second reel and strip #3 third reel could be right as they end and start correctly but whats in between in the sequence?
Reel strip 1 seems to be the odd ball!
What you might want to do is write down the symbol sequence of all the reel strips;
Strip #1 starting with Plum, Cherry, Orange -------- fill in the blanks-----------------and ending with BAR, BELL
Strip #2 starting with Orange, Cherry, Bell ---------- fill in the blanks-----------------and ending with Cherry, Plum, Bell
Strip #3 starting with Bell, Lemon, Plum ------------ fill in the blanks---------------- and ending with Plum. Orange, Bell

THEN THE BIG CHALLENGE check the pays against the reel discs as who knows what combination you have there!
I think I explained that right, any expert thoughts out there!
Any Good Advice is excepted, any thoughts from Jimmy in Toledo?
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby Bally Bill » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:14 pm

Hi Monti Here is the sequence with filling the blanks using initials of symbols. I confirmed all the winning combinations using green tape on the symbols which corresponded with all the payout fingers going into all 3 reel holes, The Jackpot fingers lined up through the reels but no payout so either the spring is weak or its got the wrong payout slide but that's just a guess on what's going on here...looks like a reel mystery!! appreciate all the feedback so far on this issue-Bill

#1= B/F,BE,CH,PL,OR,BE,CH,OR,PL,CH,LE,CH,OR,BE,LE,B/FR
#2= B/F,OR,CH,BE,OR,PL,CH,BE,PL,OR,CH,BE,OR,B/F,CH,PL
#3= OR,BE,PL,OR,LE,B/F,PL,OR,LE,BE,OR,PL,B/F,BE,PL,OR
Bally Bill

Postby jmisatu » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:50 pm

Why doesn't your first strip start with what appears in the picture of the reel bundle you post on here? As Monti has said about the starting sequence and what appears in the picture, yet you say now that it starts with B/F, Be, CH...... and the picture shows it starts with P, CH, O..... Not sure what the confusion is with this.
jmisatu

Postby MONTI » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:31 am

jmisatu wrote:Why doesn't your first strip start with what appears in the picture of the reel bundle you post on here? As Monti has said about the starting sequence and what appears in the picture, yet you say now that it starts with B/F, Be, CH...... and the picture shows it starts with P, CH, O..... Not sure what the confusion is with this.

AGREED!
Definitely a communication issue here!
Heading out to the shop busy service week!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby oldslotman » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:40 am

Bally Bill wrote:Per oldslotman suggestion I lined up all the 3 bells making sure the payout fingers and reel stops were locked and this is the symbol sequence that I have but I don"t see that on the picture you posted Monti. Should I line up each payout symbol/fingers and mark the reel symbols with tape?

Did it payout on the three bells? It looks like in the picture that the payout finger did not go through all three disc.
oldslotman

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions