Restoring Mills Glass

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Restoring Mills Glass

Postby Bally Bill » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:01 pm

Hello All, I was looking for any suggestions on saving the reel and jackpot glass from my 5 cent Mills castle. They appear to be older replacement glass since they are glued together to make the correct thickness. I was going to submerge them in vinegar or alcohol but thought I would see if anyone had a better solution. Thank you Bill
Bally Bill

Re: Restoring Mills Glass

Postby watlingboy » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:35 pm

Are you sure they are glued together? Most people don’t glue the glass together. Originally it was safety glass with a plastic laminate in between just like older car windows before tempered glass. With age the plastic can turn brown and crystallize or turn milky white or dry up and just become a loose piece of plastic which has detached from the glass. If someone did glue it together, probably best to get new glass because you’re probably not getting them apart.

George
watlingboy

Postby saloonkpr » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:06 pm

Have 100 Year Old Glass with Wire in It . If That's What you need
saloonkpr

Postby BALTMANHD103 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:12 pm

Not seen many Mills with the wire almost all Watlings did. If you want to seperate the glass soak it in thinner they will come apart fine I only do this if it is really bad otherwise I leave it as found.
BALTMANHD103

Postby Bally Bill » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:34 pm

Hi George, I tried to post a picture but no good because of the attachment quota but it looks like what you have described. I soaked the jackpot glass in kerosene and that separated the glass and removed most of the plastic lament. I will try the thinner on the 3 reel glass pieces to see if that works any faster. Too bad we cannot post pictures because it would be cool to see the original glass from the Mills factory. Thanks everyone for your replies
Bally Bill

Postby marsonion » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:15 pm

Bally Bill wrote:Hi George, I tried to post a picture but no good because of the attachment quota but it looks like what you have described. I soaked the jackpot glass in kerosene and that separated the glass and removed most of the plastic lament. I will try the thinner on the 3 reel glass pieces to see if that works any faster. Too bad we cannot post pictures because it would be cool to see the original glass from the Mills factory. Thanks everyone for your replies

A Mills machine I dealt with recently had the old, original plastic-sandwich glass, which had fallen apart, leaving the yellowed and warped laminate loose between the old glass plates. I had a little fun proving to the owner that it was truly the original safety glass by taking a match to a small sliver I cut off the old plastic... FLASH - *poof*! Nitrocellulose!
marsonion

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:09 pm

Bally Bill wrote:Hi George, I tried to post a picture but no good because of the attachment quota but it looks like what you have described. I soaked the jackpot glass in kerosene and that separated the glass and removed most of the plastic lament. I will try the thinner on the 3 reel glass pieces to see if that works any faster. Too bad we cannot post pictures because it would be cool to see the original glass from the Mills factory. Thanks everyone for your replies

I have upped the limit on attachments. Please try again.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby MONTI » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:46 am

Thanks Dave!
Working now my Friend, you can get back to your summer fun! :lol:
Caio!
MONTI

LAMINATED GLASS.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby Bally Bill » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:04 am

Thank you Dave, The thinner worked great on the reel glass. Here is the before and after pictures of the glass and Thank you MONTI for the original glass example picture!
Attachments
Mills castle Glass.jpg
Mills Castle Glass 2.jpg
Bally Bill

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions