What is this part (Mills Silent FOK)

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: What is this part (Mills Silent FOK)

Postby altort » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:29 pm

Greg looks like you have all the parts you need to have the coin return work, do they all move freely? is the linkage on the mech move up and down? that screw on the linkage that you are pointing to is to adjust the linkage to operate properly.
I would start with the escalator, if you lift and lower that linkage will the coin return out of the side?
Next I would with the front casting removed and all the mints out of the side with the linkage, try and push that lever in and out and look to see how it reacts with the linkage on the mech and the linkage on the escalator, you may only need to make some adjustments.
Try that and lets see how you make out,
Al
altort

Postby altort » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:02 pm

Greg there is no spring on the lever on the escalator, should move up and down freely it may be seizing up on the shoulder screw or it has the wrong screw in it, try a drop or two of good quality oil, if that does not work try backing off the screw, if backing off the screw loosens it up then it is the wrong screw.
altort

Postby insertcoinhere » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:03 am

altort wrote:Greg there is no spring on the lever on the escalator, should move up and down freely it may be seizing up on the shoulder screw or it has the wrong screw in it, try a drop or two of good quality oil, if that does not work try backing off the screw, if backing off the screw loosens it up then it is the wrong screw.

Thanks altort. I did try loosening the shoulder screw on the escalator arm and it frees right up. I'll take it apart this weekend and see if I can see anything wrong other than a wrong shoulder screw/bolt.

The rest of the linkage is probably not as free as it should be either so will look into that as well.

Thanks again for your help!
Greg
insertcoinhere

Postby insertcoinhere » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:23 pm

I removed the washers (!!!) from the shoulder screw on the escalator and the arm moves freely now. Got nickels to reject if the mint vendor was empty but still rejected after adding mints back in. Found the vertical linkage in the mechanism needs adjustment and while adjusting the linkage it got very stiff. Will need to remove the rusty shoulder screw, clean and lubricate, then try adjusting again. Pretty touchy mechanism from what I have seen so far but the good news is that it appears I have all the pieces! :D
insertcoinhere

Postby insertcoinhere » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:36 pm

Success! After freeing up the linkage in the mech and adjusting (what a pain to get max travel out of that...) I was back to a point where nickels were being rejected whether there were mints in the vendor or not. Hmm.... The I noticed a dog-leg portion of linkage for this in the escalator and a few short adjustments later it is all working great. Not sure if bending that dog-leg was the right thing to do but it gave me the adjustment I could not get elsewhere on the linkage.

Other than the obvious reason of having a machine not making money simply because the mint vendor was empty I think the maintenance on this setup may be another reason they were removed. I had the mech in and out 8 times today just to adjust the silly linkage. Probably not something that gets out of adjustment and need frequent work but still.....

Thanks all for the help!
Greg
Attachments
P1092033.JPG
insertcoinhere

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions