Questions on Mech and springs

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Questions on Mech and springs

Postby TrinityB » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:09 pm

So we have jumped in with both feet and so far have cleaned our mech as far as we can... oiled, greased... checked out the payouts with the fingers and reels... So far so good. Getting a full pack of new springs delivered today...

Mills 2 questions.png

Here are my questions:
1. The "finger" springs are spongee, not tight... They do work in testing, should I replace them?

2. The stop on the discs does not always land with the discs flat on the stop lip... disc #1 always, #2 and #3 are about 1/8" away, anything I should do here?

3. There is a spring on the left side that does not look "right" compared to other machine picture I have seen, is it okay?

4. The jam release bar is actually touching the top spring on the payout fingers and seem to have stretched it out. I have seen some that this is between the top and second spring, but that seems then to push "up" on the top spring... This is not necessary I have read, but is this configuration correct?

5. The label is on the front of the mech but the number is unreadable... how can I clean and keep it with damaging it, or just leave it be? I saw someone post using Dawn dish soap, warm water on a paper towel, set on top of label and leave overnight... Anyone done this with success?

6. I have included a pic that the owner says the machine was "professionally restored" ... Where is the "fork" pin and spring, why is it different?

7. Lastly, the other pic shows a cover over the payout finger springs, am I missing this piece?
50's Mills on Facebook.PNG
TrinityB

Re: Questions on Mech and springs

Postby rosekiller454356 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:20 am

Since the upper payout finger springs are function properly, I would not replace them.
rosekiller454356

Postby oldslotman » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:33 am

The disc stops are fine. That's where they should stop. The restored machine that you show in the picture has a different reel disc kicker and does not use that fork spring you are referring to. That rod pushing on that spring is common and is not a problem. That other spring that doesn't look right should not be a problem.
oldslotman

Postby TrinityB » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:47 am

Thank you for your help :)
TrinityB

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions