Loud clunk when cycling in case

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Loud clunk when cycling in case

Postby insertcoinhere » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:18 pm

The reel stop levers are lifting smoothly and are lifted before the bind/clunk occurs i will continue to watch the mech while cycling and try to find out more information. Thanks for the guidance so far!
insertcoinhere

Postby flipper77 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:56 pm

One more easy adjustment that might be worth trying. The Operating Fork Lift Pin position is very sensitive to adjust and I note that you did adjust this. It could be that the mechanism is having to wind up too much especially when played in the case and the handle is struggling to complete the cycle release. You might want to carefully adjust the pin to see if releasing earlier smooths play. Touchy because releasing too early will result in mech timing issues and improper reel kick.
flipper77

Postby insertcoinhere » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:16 pm

Thank you flipper77. Watching all parts of the mech the operating fork lift pin seems to be a potential source of the problem. I have already backed the pin out 0.011".I have been keeping track of the protrusion of the tail end of the pin so I can revert if necessary but may need to back out more. is there a rule of thumb about how much to move the pin? Backing out I am not worried about the mech locking up but would like to have an idea of the range of adjustment on the pin that might be OK. Regardless, I will pull the mech again and work on the pin in the next day or so.
insertcoinhere

Postby altort » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:13 pm

Hope you are not on a wild goose chase, I have two escalator FOK both a 10 stop and a 20 stop and the 20 stop is smother than the 10 stop, and my newer slots like my HIGH TOPS are even smother.

As far as the bearing, I don't think that it's like a convectional needle bearing, may have more of a bushing, looking at several of my mech's all have some play some more than others,I don't think they are serviceable as far as taking them apart to inspect, I only clean them with solvents and oil them, but on some of my newer mech's the center pin looks like it can be un screwed to service but I have not gotten to service those mech's as of yet,
altort

Postby rosekiller454356 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:19 am

You might want to check the roller bearing at the bottom of the reel kicker to ensure it is lubed and free to roll.
rosekiller454356

Postby insertcoinhere » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:46 pm

Thanks @rosekiller454356. Looks like I'll have to remove the reel bundle to give that a good look. I have not done that before but have the books to tell me how. Just need to set aside some dedicated time to do it.
insertcoinhere

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions