Help ID

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Help ID

Postby Nepacoinop » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:17 pm

I have the opportunity to buy this machine but it don’t look right, it’s not a Golden falls and it’s not a diamond front.... castings don’t match and from all the pics I’ve seen of either nine have the lock there can someone help me out on this one ?? Thanks ...... that’s the only pic I have
Attachments
30DADE02-1947-43C1-B29D-DA5638B92875.jpeg
Nepacoinop

Re: Help ID

Postby nvmos2 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:01 pm

It's not unusual to find a machine cobbled together from 2 or more machine;
it is however, usually not this obvious.

If you get it at a low price, may be worth more to part it out,
or just keep as an example of what guys sometimes do.

102F9B60-BCF9-4701-8993-9B71A8D9111A.jpeg
nvmos2

Postby ShaneBlume » Tue May 04, 2021 11:58 am

That does not appear to be a Diamond front top. My best guess is your machine is a Golden Falls. Which would mean that someone replaced the cherries with diamonds.

The one that is cobbled together is a Skyscraper lower, with a Silent Golden Bell upper.
ShaneBlume

Postby capt7310 » Tue May 04, 2021 3:15 pm

I purchased this machine a few months ago it has a Mills Poinsettia top and a Mills Skyscraper bottom, as explained to me that Mills interchange parts with other machine and collectors would do the same and as nvmos said", t's not unusual to find a machine cobbled together from 2 or more machine; I have never found this type of machine out there and none of the collectors on this site said they have one. It's very cool and works perfectly.
Attachments
Resized_20201123_173034.jpeg
capt7310

Postby capt7310 » Tue May 04, 2021 3:20 pm

Quick follow up here's a before picture, I bought it this way and reconditioned to the look now.
Attachments
mills skyscraper.jpg
capt7310

Postby nvmos2 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:03 pm

ShaneBlume wrote:That does not appear to be a Diamond front top. My best guess is your machine is a Golden Falls. Which would mean that someone replaced the cherries with diamonds.

IMO the subject machine is NOT a Golden Falls top casting. The Golden Falls has two cherry ornaments not four. I doubt someone would drill holes to replace 2 cherries with 4 diamonds on the top casting.

Clarification on my earlier comment; it is not uncommon to find machines with replaced parts; it does happen, but it is UNCOMMON (or unusual) to find machines with obviously mismatched front castings.
Mills would NOT have done any of these. Mills would not allow a machine out of the factory with mismatched castings mixed from different models.
These bastard machines were done by some Monkey-Jack long after they left the Mills factory.

8A55F637-B0A8-4247-B2C3-2A006DC1B07D_4_5005_c.jpeg
nvmos2

Postby ShaneBlume » Tue May 04, 2021 4:26 pm

It could very well be a diamond top then, there should be a casting part number on the upper that would tell us for sure. My Diamond front part number is MLB 6801 A
ShaneBlume

Postby mechanic » Tue May 04, 2021 8:52 pm

THESE COBBLE JOBS WERE DONE EITHER BY OLD OPERATORS OR NEW HUSTLERS LOOKING TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK ON UNSUSPECTING NEWBIES. SOME OF THESE MACHINES HAVE NOT HAD THEIR CASTINGS REPRODUCED SO YOU MAY BE MORE FORTUNATE AT FINDING AN ORIGINAL TO MAKE YOUR MACHINES RIGHT !!
mechanic

Postby nvmos2 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:39 pm

ShaneBlume wrote:It could very well be a diamond top then, there should be a casting part number on the upper that would tell us for sure. My Diamond front part number is MLB 6801 A

That's a good idea, but may not be conclusive. That basic top casting design was used on a couple different models and may all have the same part number. Mills varied the look for different models with ornaments and paint. If you look closely, you'll see the cherries on a Golden Falls are positioned a little differently than the respective diamonds on a Diamond Front. I'm pretty sure that top casting is off a Diamond Front.

If Nepacoinop wants to return subject machine to look like a proper Golden Falls, all he needs is 2 cherry clusters and a little rework of the casting. The cherry clusters were first reproduced decades ago and should still be readily available.
Of course that depends on what's under the diamonds and how they are attached; may be special cut-outs in the casting, in which case part number will be different.
nvmos2

Return to Slots