Questions About Mills Dice

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Re: Questions About Mills Dice

Postby Jeff » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:16 pm

I was on this forum many years ago not sure what happened to my account, it either got erased due to lack of use or I just forgot the login info....

I have a Mills Dice, I've had it for roughly 30 years. I've refinished the wood case but left the castings with the original brown paint. The only repainting I did was the red "dots" in the coin head behind the coins, and the red marking on the release level/button on the back of the machine. My machine has the square plug with red dice, I also have the anti-cheat tilt mechanism on the front of the machine which stops the clock if the machine is tilted.

I have completely disassembled, cleaned with a strong degreaser, reassembled and lubricated the machine and I will agree that the adjustments on the wires is crazy sensitive and even after getting them all adjusted properly it doesn't take much to knock them back out of adjustment and they can be frustrating to get them readjusted, if somebody has some tips or tricks they have, I'd appreciate it as I've walked away from the machine before as I got too frustrated with it and the adjustments.

Also my original dome glass was broken at some point in the past so now I have a flat piece of glass for the viewing window. Somebody had told me a while back that they had identified a piece of glass for an outdoor light that looked like it was made for the machine, unfortunately he couldn't find his records to tell me who made it and the part number so if somebody has a recommendation, I'm all ears...

If anybody is interested I have almost 40 pictures of the machine that I took during disassembly, they aren't fancy but I used them to successfully reassemble the machine.

Thanks, Jeff

mills1.JPG
Jeff

Postby rtmccurdy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:16 pm

Kevin Keinert (www.gameroomrepair.com) has a wonderful CD available on the "ins and outs" of the Mills Dice. I suggest that you contact him for advice.
rtmccurdy

Postby marsonion » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:05 pm

Jeff wrote:
If anybody is interested I have almost 40 pictures of the machine that I took during disassembly, they aren't fancy but I used them to successfully reassemble the machine.

Is this the set of pictures you're describing?
https://jr.bubble.org/millsdice.html

I've been thinking of revisiting this thread for some time, because I found I have pictures of not just one, but two Mills DICE machines featuring the strange payout schedule Dave mentioned earlier in this thread. The images posted below are not sharp at all, but you can see that the "field" payout lists seven rather than six figures on each one.

Also reposting the 1935 press photo of the prototype DICE, which appears on another thread I started... I located pictures of most of the Mills personnel who attended the Chicago show, but none match any of the characters in the picture. Ironically, my research tends to indicate that the guy scowling in the center of the crowd actually is J. Edgar Hoover! He had been in-and-out of Chicago frequently during previous months, accompanying Melvin Purvis on the epic quest to plug Dillinger. Hoover himself had a somewhat ambivalent attitude toward gambling, having long been an avid and determined poker player... so do you think he was lurking at the trade show as a friend or as a foe of gaming machines--? I would favor the latter interpretation: card players tend to disdain slots as a mug's game and/or a dame's game, and probably for good reason... SUCKER BET! :D

Finally, does anybody think this is still funny? It's been up for well over a year by now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143982155965?h ... SwRHRgVANS

FieldPayoutWTF1.jpg
marsonion

Postby Dhw3 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:39 pm

Hello,

Not this helps your situation but I read all the posts on here pretty much daily, never really post myself but in my opinion the mills dice machine is my absolute favorite machine. It is so impressive to me that a machine that is not electronic can be played the way it does, with technology from the mid 1930s. I would like to think that i have a fairly decent collection with some higher end machines, but nothing compares to my mills dice machine. I have it in my office, and i play it almost daily. I also have the original stand made specifically for the mills dice machine. It is such an awesome machine. My suggestion to anyone who has one who is having trouble with it mechanically they need to send to Jeff Frahm because he is an expert at dice machines.
Dhw3

Postby Jeff » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:39 pm

marsonion wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Is this the set of pictures you're describing?
https://jr.bubble.org/millsdice.html

Yes those are my pictures that I took when disassembling the machine. I've have found at least one person selling the pictures. I've told him that he is welcome to give them away for free but not to charge for them.

Jeff
Jeff

Postby marsonion » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:42 pm

Jeff wrote:
Yes those are my pictures that I took when disassembling the machine. I've have found at least one person selling the pictures. I've told him that he is welcome to give them away for free but not to charge for them.

Jeff

Yes, I think he's taken that down. It appears there's also PDF material on sale at that site which is freely available at the International Arcade Museum online; however, that site is also the source for downloading (for a fee) the Mills DICE portion of Bueschel's Payout Dice Machines (including the factory DICE service manual), which I found very useful. Also, with regard to your servicing and adjustment questions above, I agree with a post above that obtaining Kevin Keinert's DVD would be the best way to go.

I wish I could tell you where to find sources for a replacement dome glass, because I'd like to have that option too! Searching this forum brought me back to what appears to be your original inquiry on the matter:

https://coinopcollectorforum.com/viewto ... 770&p=1770

If you run across any leads on that, I hope you'll clue us in.
marsonion

Previous

Return to Slots