First Slot Purchase

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Re: First Slot Purchase

Postby atac » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:27 pm

OH, on the award card, it was probably toast and I'm sure the only gold award that's been reproduced is the paper rectangular one for the roman head and the castle front.
atac

Postby nvmos2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:02 pm

For a first time buyer, it's clear that txx..... has done some good research, unlike a lot of newbies who buy their first machine and are later disappointed to learn what they've got.

He raises an interesting question, yet to be answered:
Did Mills ever use the cutout oval metal award plate with a paper award card showing under it, or is the cutout metal oval an invention of later day "restorers" who needed to replace an original metal oval and the easy way to do that was to use the cutout over a paper card?

Below is a Brown Front off fleabay that appears to have original patina that has a cutout oval plate;
but note the ends are not smoothly polished like the repos of today.
Also note that the metal oval frame does not neatly fill the casting area as you would expect it to if it were done by Mills.

BrnFrtAward.jpg
Cutout Award Plate
nvmos2

Postby MONTI » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:49 pm

From my understanding of the UN-answered question I believe all of the award cards that left the factory on this particular slot machine model had a metal oval award card as shown below, one from Marshall Fey's book on SLOT MACHINES and one from a Spinning Reels publication from 1941!
The cut-out oval and a paper and/or metal rectangular plate were after market!
But I could be wrong, My Wife Tells Me I Am All The Time! :lol:
MONTI

Marshall Fey Book.jpg

Spinning Reels Sept 1941.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Previous

Return to Slots