Mills War Eagle One Cherry payout

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Mills War Eagle One Cherry payout

Postby Marcellous » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:39 am

Not being fully knowledgeable about slot machines but I assumed that when seeing a War Eagle with a one cherry payout that it is automatically a reproduction. Casually mentioning this to a very knowledgeable seller of slots he said not always. So, is it a fact that Mills released original War Eagles that paid out one cherry? I didn't pushed the question to him at the time.

When were the repros made and are they still made today?
Marcellous

Re: Mills War Eagle One Cherry payout

Postby mechanic » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:14 am

Only a couple machines were made that paid one, but they were not coins. Mills and Jennings both made golfball vendors that would give you one golfball for 2 cherries. All other pays were 2-4, 2-5 and later 3-5. Any other pay is caused by some type of modification to the machine either by old operators or new owners. It could be a repro as they did not get overly ambitious in their finishing process. Most repro's happened from the mid 80's to the mid 90's but there may still be some out there doing full scale repros. Mostly now it's just small pieces parts. The largest operation during the period came out of colorado. There could be other reasons why your machine only pays one, like worn master slide, foreign coin machine modified to us coin or some kind of obstruction.
mechanic

Postby TFA » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:58 pm

I believe OP ment that the machine had payout listed for a single Cherry, i.e. [Cherry] + [Anything] + [Anything] for 2 coins on the payout table. I.e. not referring to a mechanical fault, where it pays one coin on a double cherry (nor otherwise).

As for a definitive answer - I cant really say. I've only ever seen [Cherry] + [Cherry] + [Anything] as the smallest winning combination on War Eagles. I do believe that Bursting Cherries exist with a single Cherry payout variantion - and as they're approx. the same generation - why not War Eagles as well? A quick Google image search however does reveal a number of single Cherry payout War eagles out there.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mills+w ... dx40pUbDOM
I find it unlikely that someone who wanted to pass a repro as an original, would make it look perfect, except for they payout table. That seems like a weird oversight...
TFA

Postby flipper77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:35 am

Actually , a one cherry payout is typical in the repo War Eagles. Check out item number 113694260172 on eBay.
flipper77

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:28 pm

Single Cherry payout on a War Eagle????
PROBABLY a reproduction/fake/doctored machine.

I hedge my statement because the history of single cherry payout is interesting.
There are experts (whom I respect and are definitely more knowledgeable than I) here who have posted that the War Eagle never was produced with a single cherry payout.

On the other hand, the single cherry payout was introduced on the Mills Chrome as early as 1939.
It soon migrated to other models, some of which were produced with either single or two cherry payout, whatever the customer wanted.
Most single cherry payout machines are associated with post-war production when it was pretty much standard.
War Eagle production started in 1931 and continued through 1944, with the war-time machines getting a little strange; many of them being earlier machines refurbished by Mills with different finishes/colors and, I would suggest, possibly a single cherry payout mechanism.
nvmos2

Return to Slots