Gretchen Rebuild

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Gretchen Rebuild

Postby ernie » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:55 am

Hello.I have rebuilt a variety of antique machines, but this is my first slot machine. I disassembled, cleaned and lubricated my Groetchen twice. I am learning a good deal, and it is working . . . a bit. My primary problem is controlling the star wheels. When I pull the handle, the first reel spins a few times and stops on its own. The second and third reels spin rapidly and then stop almost together as a plunger rod slides into the stars. This is the first post I have every made to any group. I hope it works. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0905.jpg
IMG_0904.JPG
ernie

Re: Gretchen Rebuild

Postby marsonion » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:35 pm

ernie wrote:Hello.I have rebuilt a variety of antique machines, but this is my first slot machine. I disassembled, cleaned and lubricated my Groetchen twice. I am learning a good deal, and it is working . . . a bit. My primary problem is controlling the star wheels. When I pull the handle, the first reel spins a few times and stops on its own. The second and third reels spin rapidly and then stop almost together as a plunger rod slides into the stars. This is the first post I have every made to any group. I hope it works. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

The first reel may be impeded if the reel bundle axle bushings are set too close to the hubs; perhaps threading the left bushing out a little may provide more clearance for an easier spin. If the axle or inner concentric brass tubes are bent or severely worn, all you can do is replace the reel bundle.

Each reel should stop in sequence as its associated reel stop comes down... the payout plunger is not a reel stop! If the reel has not been stopped by the time the payout plunger probes it, you must have awful timing issues with your cycle. What I see in your pictures that provokes the greatest concern are the dog-eared vanes on the clock: you can't mess with a Columbia clock that way. A Columbia cannot function adequately (if at all) with anything but a solid, reliable clock: even a little wear can adversely affect the cycle, so those bent vanes indicate serious trouble to me.
marsonion

Postby ernie » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:08 pm

Hello marsonion,
Your analysis of the problem has given me a lot to investigate and play with. It has also taught me some things I did not know. Now, I have some places to begin again.
Many, many thanks,
Ernie
ernie

Postby ernie » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:49 pm

I think I have solved one problem. The Reel Stop Cam Plate was not pushed toward the Reel Stop Arm enough to engage them. Now the arms fire in sequence, as they should. Thanks again, Ernie
Attachments
IMG_0589.JPG
ernie

Postby marsonion » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:09 pm

ernie wrote:I think I have solved one problem. The Reel Stop Cam Plate was not pushed toward the Reel Stop Arm enough to engage them. Now the arms fire in sequence, as they should. Thanks again, Ernie

Great work! You have to go pretty deep to service that part... and it's pretty sensitive, too: there is a little, tiny dog that gets triggered along the side of that cam plate and that absolutely needs to reset on each cycle, 'cause if it doesn't, the mech will jam-up hard and fast.
marsonion

Return to Slots