Need Help with Bally Slot Machine "TILT" mode

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Need Help with Bally Slot Machine "TILT" mode

Postby karloz25 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:49 pm

Hi, I am so happy to be part this wonderful website.
I have been repairing Japanese pachislo slot machines for months now.
I recently acquired a gorgeous Bally’s 1088-2 quarter slot machine.
The unit is in great shape!
The reels spins and all lights work.
The problem with the unit is that it’s stuck in “Tilt” mode. The tilt light is on all the time. So it doesn’t pay out.

I’m looking for help fixing or bypassing the tilt sensor. I have not trouble shooted it as it seems a little more complex than the pachislo machines I’m used to, lol.

I’ve attached photos of the beauty.

Bally’s 1088-2 slot machine
karloz25

Re: Need Help with Bally Slot Machine "TILT" mode

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:54 pm

On the hopper you should see two red buttons.

I think the one on the right resets tilt.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby karloz25 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:24 am

Here are the pics of the machine.

Here is some more info:
-The winners paid light remains on, the meter count is 003. Not sure what that means.
-The machine tilt light is on, but will still accept coins, and reels spin, although I never seem to win, so maybe the tilt is preventing it from winning?
-I’ve pressed the safety timer reset. Nothing happens.
-I’ve pressed this cherry button to the right of the reels. Nothing happens, and I don’t know what that’s for.

Dave, thanks for helping, I do not see any red buttons on the hopper. I’ve attached some photos of the hopper.
Some notes on the hopper;
There’s a capacitor that looks beat up but not leaking or bulging.
The motor on the hopper has a third prong that no wire is attached to? Is this normal? (See pic)
The hopper spins only if I press a latch on top to disengage it. And it’s a little tough, it doesn’t just free spin.

Inside the unit I found a note that the previous owner had wrote on, although he said he never attempted to actually fix it.
Here’s the note:
Attachments
14F88250-DAB6-490B-801A-B407A5BDD3F7.jpeg
karloz25

Postby karloz25 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:40 am

Here are some photos of the payout counter unit.

karloz25

Postby karloz25 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:05 am

Sorry for the multiple post, but my mind is racing here at midnight, trying to get the beauty running, and I finally have a forum willing to help me out.

So I was taking pics and came across some loose pieces sitting on the bottom of the base; nuts, washers and a piece of metal, the metal looks like those fingers that make contact to each other (what are these called?)

I took apart the machine and searched for a while trying to see if I could find where it broke off of?

Found it!

So.... what do I do? Solder it? Can it be replaced? Where can I order one?
Could this be the problem? Looks like it’s part of the pull handle setup. To my knowledge, the handle works fine, after adding coins. But after a game, the pull level is locked again.

karloz25

Postby RameGoom » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:53 am

I think your written note answers your questions.

That broken tab, don't worry about that since there's no contact on it.

The capacitor (note referred to it as a resistor) is damaged and no doubt shorted.

On that part, there should be some information; xx MFD, xx VDC. That will determine what you need to replace it. The part is readily available, called an electrolytic capacitor.

This should get you going and get the machine working again.

John
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby 63mini » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 am

You may want to take a look at another forum for your game. It is called New Life Games http://newlifegames.com/nlg/. There are quite a few guys there that are familiar with your type of Bally machine.
63mini

Postby karloz25 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:31 am

RameGoom wrote:I think your written note answers your questions.

That broken tab, don't worry about that since there's no contact on it.

The capacitor (note referred to it as a resistor) is damaged and no doubt shorted.

On that part, there should be some information; xx MFD, xx VDC. That will determine what you need to replace it. The part is readily available, called an electrolytic capacitor.

This should get you going and get the machine working again.

John

Thanks for your reply, I ordered the capacitor from eBay, should arrive in about 5 days.
I sure hope that fixes the tilt.
I have seen or heard ZERO life in the hopper since I bought it.

upload pic

Regarding the broken tab, I would still like to fix it. Can it be soldered? It does have wear marks where it made contact with the little round bumper piece.
Can these be ordered? What are the official names for these?

emotion emoticons

63mini wrote:You may want to take a look at another forum for your game. It is called New Life Games http://newlifegames.com/nlg/. There are quite a few guys there that are familiar with your type of Bally machine.

I’ve seen that site, and registered as well, but have yet to get any responses from anyone, I’ve noticed the .net site is better, but not taking new members, the .com site is, but there’s not as active, just my thoughts, I’ve been learning a lot from there too!
karloz25

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:55 am

Dave wrote:On the hopper you should see two red buttons.

I think the one on the right resets tilt.

Sorry about the bad information. Your photos didn't come up and I didn't realize you had an electromechanical machine.

From reading the other posts it looks like you have identified the problem with the bad capacitor.

Here are some additional ideas.

There might be some key switches on the right side of the cabinet to reset the tilt light.

You might also trace the wiring from the tilt light to the circuit which turns it on.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby RameGoom » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:20 am

If that contact finger actually contacts a moving part, then yes, you should replace it. Not sure if soldering it will work because it's supposed to flex.

Check with pinball parts suppliers - it's called a leaf switch and you can replace individual leaves in it if you can find the right length.

John
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Return to Slots