superior confection amusement delux derby

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

superior confection amusement delux derby

Postby altort » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:19 pm

I have just acquired a Superior Confection horse race machine that I cant find any information about, it is all original un restored machine, I have searched all over the web and the only potential mention is on the
arcade museum web sight making reference to five horse racing machines but I believe that they are all about the well known Superior Races just mentioned several times and only one has pictures of the machine.

Further more depending on were and what you read about Superior Confection Co. they manufactured machine from 1927 to 1939, but on the back door casting it is clearly stamped 1-11-26 at least one year before Superior Confection Co. began manufacturing machines,

This is the second one of this machine that I have seen but I thought that the first one I see was a made up machine since the cabinet was made of plywood, the owner of that machine bought it that way and did not know much about it except that the original cabinet was damaged and rebuilt out of plywood.

This is a payout machine that pays out four nickles on winning horse with no odds variables, there is also an other interesting feature, besides the back door there is a keyed lock that once turned it moves a lever that will keep the pay out slides from paying out making this more of a trade stimulator or an arcade machine.

An other feature that this machine has that is cool is that when you hit a winner the flag on the right swings over activating a counter that will keep count of all the winning pay outs, 6221 to date and to retrieve your winnings there is a spring loaded door on the side that you push in to get your four coins.

I have owned several several Superior machines and they all have very fancy art deco castings with wood sides
this machine is mostly wood bot the castings do have similar art deco styling.

I started looking through some of my books but nothing yet, any one have any info on this machine?
Attachments
amusement delux derby010.jpg
amusement delux derby09.jpg
amusement delux derby08.jpg
amusement delux derby07.jpg
amusement delux derby06.jpg
amusement delux derby05.jpg
amusement delux derby04.jpg
amusement delux derby02.jpg
amusement delux derby01.jpg
amusement delux derby9.jpg
amusement delux derby8.jpg
amusement delux derby6.jpg
amusement delux derby7.jpg
amusement delux derby5.jpg
amusement delux derby4.jpg
amusement delux derby3.jpg
amusement delux derby10.jpg
amusement delux derby1.jpg
amusement delux derby1.2.jpg
amusement delux derby.jpg
altort

Re: superior confection amusement delux derby

Postby nvmos2 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:20 am

This is truly a Fantastic Find!
(and historically important)

What's the story of how it was found?
There's still more machines out there waiting to be discovered!
nvmos2

Postby sam2002 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:08 pm

I can’t add any historical information on this, the only thing I know about it is, I wish I’d of found it!!
Fantastic find!!
Congratulations!!!
sam2002

Postby capt7310 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:53 pm

I'm sorry I can't add any historical info either other than what an awesome find congrats and enjoy
capt7310

Postby altort » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:35 pm

I searched through my books and articles this weekend but did not find any reference about this machine, with serial number RH588 I would believe that some information would be out there, as I mentioned I did see an other one a wile back with a remade cabinet that was for sale that at the time I did not think it was a legit machine but now that I have this one I know that it was a Superior Confection, at least the mech and the castings.

As far as were I got the machine from, it was found in central Pennsylvanian, out of respect to the seller I wont mention any specifics, from what I was told it was purchased at the Brimfield flee market in Ma.many years ago and for the last ten years or so the machine was in storage, I do want to talk to the seller again to see if he knows any more about the machine.
altort

Postby collector1 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:52 pm

I did find a very similar horse race game but it was only called a 5c horse race game and the operating mechanism does look the same as the one in your picture. No other information so far.
Try contacting Charles (THE GAME ROOM SHOW) as I THINK THIS GAME CAME FROM PA. and he may have more of a background that you are looking for :)
Attachments
5c Horse Race Game.png
collector1

Postby altort » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:46 pm

Thanks collector1 for your post, the operating parts do look the same as mine, like the the one I saw a wile back the cabinet looks to be remade but this one has a stand, I do want to mention that the stand that my machine sits on is not original to the machine but was made for it long ago.

I will contact Charles from the game room show to see if he has any additional information or pictures of that machine.

I remember a post a wile back about a relative of Gus Snyder, I think it was his grandson, maybe he has some records of the years the Superior Confection started manufacturing machines and hopefully some sales brochures or advertising.

I would like to find a copy of the Automatic age magazine or other publications of the era to see if there is any mention of this machine.
altort

Postby nvmos2 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:35 am

Coincidentally(?), this one recently was posted to Facebook.
The guy said he had the chance to buy it and was asking for info on it;
he did not say location or price.

9F4B57C3-6923-4D6A-ADAD-32FF8DE3F99C.jpeg
nvmos2

Postby altort » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:31 pm

Thanks for the picture nvmos2,
interesting that the picture you posted from facebook the cabinet looks to be made of plywood, I would love to see more pictures of that one, would it be possible to contact the poster of that picture? I would like to talk yo him to see if he can get more pictures.

For now I emailed the gameroom show and Larry Snyder hoping to get more info.
altort

Postby nvmos2 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:34 am

[quote="altort" I would love to see more pictures of that one, would it be possible to contact the poster of that picture? I would like to talk yo him to see if he can get more pictures.[/quote]

I asked the guy to PM me contact info, but he did not respond.
I don't know if he has any more photos,
Assuming you're on Facebook, I'll PM you his name and maybe he'll at least put you in contact with the owner of the machine.

Interesting cabinet/backfield variations in the 3 photos posted here; you've got the nicest one!
nvmos2

Next

Return to Slots