Fake or authentic? Rol A Top Bird of Paradise

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Fake or authentic? Rol A Top Bird of Paradise

Postby TFA » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:11 pm

Got a machine in the other day which I've been asked to take a look at. However I am a bit puzzled, and need a second (and possibly third and fourth) opinion.

It's obviously a Watling Rol-A-Top Bird of Paradise. But a few things about this machine looks... off.

So the question is. What is this:

1) Original machine with an older restauration attempt and rechroming?
or
2) Fake/repro castings - with original mech inside?

As I've only done a few Rol-A-Tops before, I'm unsure as to what to look for.
All I know is that this machine is made out of different wood, compared to other Rol-A-Tops I've restored. The handle looks different. And the "horn of plenty" part of the top casting, which is usually brass and detachable, is part of the casting on this one. Those things look odd to me.

What do you guys think?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
TFA

Re: Fake or authentic? Rol A Top Bird of Paradise

Postby watlingboy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:28 pm

You may have restored post war RATs with plywood cases but the oak sides are correct. What you have is a somewhat beat up Bird of Paradise that has been nickel or chrome plated. Repairs done to top casting. Might have helpful to post a picture of the full front of the machine and a couple of mech pictures. I assume it works on a quarter?

George
watlingboy

Postby mechanic » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:35 pm

THE FIRST FLAG I SEE IS THE USE OF HEX NUTS ON EVERYTHING. HEX NUTS WERE NOT USED ON MACHINES TILL THE LATE 50'S OPEN FRONTS. THEY SHOULD ALL BE SQUARE NUTS. CASTINGS SHOULD BE NICE AND SMOOTH LIKE SANDED DOWN. THESE CASTINGS LOOK MORE LIKE THE SAND PAPER (ROUGH). LOUSY SAND CASTINGS. SOME ATTACHED PARTS LOOK ORIGINAL BUT THAT MUST HAVE BEEN THE ONLY ORIGINAL STUFF THE OWNER HAD ON HAND AT THE TIME. BOTTOM LINE IS IT IS A PUT TOGETHER MACHINE. JUST NOTICED WHERE'S THE JACKPOT UNIT ?????? THE JACKPOT GLASS IS NOT CORRECT IT'S THE NEW VERSION STRAIGHT WIRE SAFETY GLASS INSTEAD OF THE ORIGINAL CHICKEN WIRE. HOWS THE MECH LOOK?
mechanic

Postby watlingboy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Left this out, this is a Bird that was made for the French market. It’s original, it’s just it’s a mess and had a rough life.

George
watlingboy

Postby TFA » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Rough life indeed this machine. It was converted to old German Pfennigs when I got it in. The machine was likely rebuild post war in Germanys Rein Ruhr district, if I was to venture a guess. The mech is surely original - not concerned about that. The wood cabinet and top castings are my primary concerns. I will add a few more images during the weekend, taken during the daytime so that details are more visible.
TFA

Return to Slots