Mills Golden Nugget - Real Or Repro?

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Re: Mills Golden Nugget - Real Or Repro?

Postby Iroc2u2010 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:40 am

If you were to remove that Mills badge to the right of windows upper casting will probably have Buckley cast into it. The slot you have or are looking at is a very nice machine and will last along time if maintained. Look at the upper casting closely and compare to a Mills Golden Nugget or Black Cherry upper casting and you will recognize the subtle diffence
Iroc2u2010

Postby watlingboy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:46 pm

The Nugget kits were made by a guy named Tom Noel back in the 80’s and 90’s and he made a ton of them. He also made other items including wood cases for many machines. I’m sure some of his catalogs are still floating around. For $100 or $125 you got 2 nuggets, 2 dolls, set of strips and an award card. He made them for half tops and Hi Tops as I recall. The award card would not be NOS because no hole for hand load jackpot. When he was making these the aerospace industry was doing well in California. Those award bibs were acid etched and not stamped. With the aerospace industry mostly gone and the EPA, it would not be as easy or economical to have them made here today. Tom also built a motorcycle with a 327 motor in it.

George
watlingboy

Postby 63mini » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:22 pm

watlingboy wrote:The Nugget kits were made by a guy named Tom Noel back in the 80’s and 90’s and he made a ton of them. He also made other items including wood cases for many machines. I’m sure some of his catalogs are still floating around. For $100 or $125 you got 2 nuggets, 2 dolls, set of strips and an award card. He made them for half tops and Hi Tops as I recall. The award card would not be NOS because no hole for hand load jackpot. When he was making these the aerospace industry was doing well in California. Those award bibs were acid etched and not stamped. With the aerospace industry mostly gone and the EPA, it would not be as easy or economical to have them made here today. Tom also built a motorcycle with a 327 motor in it.

George

Yes, I still have one from my father's stuff :shock: . It is dated 1979-80. Not much of a catalog but, it mentions the GN kits. His retail was $170.00. Discounts were for dealers.
Attachments
Noel_1.jpg
Noel_2.jpg
63mini

Postby sam2002 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:39 pm

Hi George
Great info, guess that explains how the bib got it’s embossed feel!
Onto that V-8 motorcycle, this is a photo I took of possibly this guys bike? This photo was taken either 70’s or very very early 80’s. Picture was taken on California coast pretty near to Alice’s Restaurant. Theres a stretch of highway there that is incredibly popular with motorcyclists. This Im pretty sure was well before the Boss Hoss company came along. Was amazed to see a V8 motorcycle and just happened to have a camera with me on that day.

Hi Dave
Sorry I know it’s a bit off topic, smile!
Grrreat forum! Love all the info that gathers here from all the fine folks that gather!
Attachments
5C03499D-44AE-4141-B78B-E9145B3D5D21.jpeg
sam2002

Postby watlingboy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:08 pm

Looks like it could very well have been Tom’s. And yes, well before Boss Hoss.
George
watlingboy

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:52 am

Sam,

I have shipped many a pinball machine both inbound and outbound but never via Greyhound so that wasn't me.

However, if you are heavily into pinball we might know each other. I have been serious collecting pins for 40 years and have been very active in the hobby, written many articles for Pinball Trader and Pingame Journal, contributed to a few books, hit all the major shows. My name is Bob Herbison.
WoodrailFanatic

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:14 am

Awesome stuff guys...thanks so much!

Iroc2u2010....I have a Black Cherry so I went and checked and I see those slight differences in the upper casting that you are talking about...great info. FYI, I had a much later, much less quality repro Golden Nugget go through my hands about a month ago. Had the silk screened award card and was so obviously "new". That is one reason I had to ask about the possibility of the second one being an original....it is just such better quality than the first one. These are the only two Golden Nuggets I have had in my possession so being able to access the vast experience of you guys is so valuable.

George.....excellent to know the origin of the non-screened repro award card....much appreciated.

63mini....wow....that catalog really rounds out the info.

This group is the best!!!
WoodrailFanatic

Postby MONTI » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:41 am

sam2002 wrote:Hi George
Great info, guess that explains how the bib got it’s embossed feel!
Onto that V-8 motorcycle, this is a photo I took of possibly this guys bike? This photo was taken either 70’s or very very early 80’s. Picture was taken on California coast pretty near to Alice’s Restaurant. Theres a stretch of highway there that is incredibly popular with motorcyclists. This Im pretty sure was well before the Boss Hoss company came along. Was amazed to see a V8 motorcycle and just happened to have a camera with me on that day.

Hi Dave
Sorry I know it’s a bit off topic, smile!
Grrreat forum! Love all the info that gathers here from all the fine folks that gather!

Dang!
You didn't want to "Lay That Puppy Over", would have been harder to pick up than an old Indian!
JUST SAYIN'
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby MONTI » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:09 am

Ran across this pdf version of one of my old catalogs from Ancient Slots in Las Vegas, George, they apparently bought parts from Tom Noel and resold them under the Ancient Slots catalog!
For a short time they had a location in Reno as well!
Subscribed to Easy Rider and Iron Horse back when I rode and remember an article about Tom Noel, I believe!
Here below are the pages covering the "Golden Nugget" reproduction parts for the half top Mills as well as the Catalog cover!
And Bob, I believe you and I have communicated many times by email, I get so many emails with questions on slots, it is hard to keep track!
Happy New Year from the Slot Shop!
Ciao!
MONTI

3 CABINET PARTS HALF TOP.jpg

4 CABINET PARTS DESCRIPTION.jpg

Catalog.JPG
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:19 pm

Monti,

Yes, you have helped me numerous times via email. You always seem to have the answers I need!
WoodrailFanatic

Previous

Return to Slots