Columbia no pay issue

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Columbia no pay issue

Postby Phan000 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:01 pm

I’ve had this machine as a back-burner project for a year. Would love to get it working.

I have never seen a functional Columbia, but understand it is supposed to rotate clockwise for a payout.

It never does. Most of the time it advances correctly, but it will not allow the pin to penetrate all the reels without the flap with the yellow arrow pushed up. I temporarily put a spring on it to keep it lifted.

I am not sure if it is missing parts, springs, or needs more adjustment. I’ve looked at the manual and read some threads, but cannot figure out what to do next.

Anyone familiar with these mechs?
Attachments
BC90643E-2C89-4607-AC26-1237DB3F11AB.jpeg
FD7DC9B3-4B40-480B-B551-8064FB37F5B3.jpeg
7020E3AB-B138-4DB8-A113-B461C4D37555.jpeg
45DA95AF-6507-471A-852D-D4DD46DB2B9F.jpeg
F61C8035-C2F0-404B-9B84-172D9D9F3761.jpeg
Phan000

Re: Columbia no pay issue

Postby Bally Bill » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:14 am

Hi, looks like your Columbia is missing quite a few parts,not sure if you found this on the forum but this will help answer a few of your questions.
Attachments
columbia-instructions-manual.pdf
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
1 hail-columbia-bells-large-for parts breakdown.pdf
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
Bally Bill

Postby Phan000 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:11 am

I took off the coin magazine for the initial photos.

I have the machine close to working, just can’t get it to pay without pushing up on that part with the yellow arrow
Attachments
4E6EB9F9-1BAA-4E8A-B6E8-77CDFEBC7CE3.jpeg
Phan000

Postby Walter Newton » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:48 pm

Just take that part off, you don't need it.

I've owned/fixed a number of Columbia slots, and it seems that that part was a later addition, something to do with "locking out" the payout.

But the part is not shown in any schematic or mentioned in any text that I have seen.

I think that will solve your problem, and not create a new problem.
Walter Newton

Postby marsonion » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:53 pm

Phan000 wrote:I took off the coin magazine for the initial photos.

I have the machine close to working, just can’t get it to pay without pushing up on that part with the yellow arrow

From the cabinet image, it appears you have a Columbia Chrome. Here is a shot of the back of my Chrome with the back door and rear cowl removed; I was trying to get a shot that would include that odd "yellow arrow" plate, but it simply isn't there (and my Chrome functions and pays out just fine).

My experience has been that, in order to get any Columbia running properly, it's best to have access to one that's already running well to use as a guide, because there's so many little ways it can go wrong and there can be more than one reason for the same malfunction. For instance, you indicate that you're not getting payouts, and attribute that to the payout finger running into this odd plate thingy, and I can't help you there since I have no idea what that is or what it's for... but I've had payout problems before on account of the assembly indicated by the red arrow: you'll see that the indicated tab goes to a lock/release pawl to the carousel, which is opened and closed by the action of a roller cam on an adjustable dog-leg-shaped rail which is attached with two screws to the top of the payout finger assembly. On yours, that roller cam isn't even making contact with that rail, and it looks pretty gooped-up with old grease and may be stuck that way. So, for now, I'd suggest getting a stiff brush and some solvent and cleaning up that under-the-carousel area, just to get all the hardware moving there.
Attachments
ChromeBack.JPG
marsonion

Postby Phan000 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:22 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Clearly there is a lot of cleaning to do. Overall it’s pretty filthy.

I removed the flap on the back, and it is paying now. It is also dropping each new coin into the money tray as a lever pushes it out with handle pull.

Needs lots more adjustments.

I see the roller mentioned, but cannot understand how it connects with the other pieces. Definitely wish there was a machine to compare with.

My roller has a spring on it, but it is only secured to the red inward tag. The roller pivots, but does not stay snug to that dog leg track.

I attached a few photos.

Thanks again for the help.
Attachments
57A877D5-0A49-4E1D-A94D-C8FE0533A7C9.jpeg
AABEECA5-DDBD-4F34-A587-F4055FB16EE3.jpeg
476E73B9-6E93-4C93-8FC2-8724692267E8.jpeg
Phan000

Postby Phan000 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:33 pm

I finally got the magazine to rotate correctly, accept coins (most of the time), And pay off.

The little arm that pushes the magazine clockwise was slightly bent & the inside of the magazine itself needed to be cleaned to get a better grip.

Happy with the progress.

I am missing the piece that goes from the coin drop, to the center nut on the magazine. Does this serve any critical function?
Attachments
2D2F4A95-95BF-47DC-A1F2-06EFCA9C56E2.jpeg
Phan000

Postby Walter Newton » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:33 am

That's a round cover that sits on top of the coin carousel.

Keeps coins from popping out of carousel if the machine is moved or tilted.

You don't really need it.

I have two Columbias that are missing that cover.
Walter Newton

Postby marsonion » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:37 am

Walter Newton wrote:That's a round cover that sits on top of the coin carousel.

I don't think that's what he's asking about. I think he's actually missing the casting that extends from over the coin-exit point of the carousel/magazine to its central axle. I've never dealt with a machine so far gone that it would be lacking that part (so I can't say whether it's absolutely critical to functionality or not) but it's probably very significant to the structural integrity of the machine.
marsonion

Postby Phan000 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:09 am

marsonion wrote:
Walter Newton wrote:That's a round cover that sits on top of the coin carousel.

I don't think that's what he's asking about. I think he's actually missing the casting that extends from over the coin-exit point of the carousel/magazine to its central axle. I've never dealt with a machine so far gone that it would be lacking that part (so I can't say whether it's absolutely critical to functionality or not) but it's probably very significant to the structural integrity of the machine.

Correct. I know they often are missing the magazine cover, but this one is missing that casting.

Tried unsuccessfully to find a replacement. Not really sure what it’s for.

Still can’t figure out the function of this roller. When pushed against the dog leg, it jams the machine. When left free, the machine seems to operate normally.
Attachments
80A3F116-B422-4BB7-A1D9-D22E5364D9F5.jpeg
Phan000

Return to Slots