Newbie to Slot Machine Restoration needs help!

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Newbie to Slot Machine Restoration needs help!

Postby TrinityB » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:11 am

mills.JPG
Hello all, I am hoping someone out there can help me out.
I just purchased my first slot machine, I believe it is a Mills High Top Jewel, 1940's. (Pic attached)

Where do I start, I have been scouring this forum just to see how to remove the mechanism. Seems all the pics have 2 sets of levers to lift up before just pulling out the mechanism, but mine only has one set and it sure looks like there are bits attached to the side walls. I sure don't want to screw it up ...

I see there is a service manual by Marshall Fey, I have emailed to order but there is no response... :( This would be of immense help I am sure.

Can anyone show me a video, pics, or something that would explain my machine please"
Mills 2.jpg

Thank you,
Trinity in Idaho
TrinityB

Re: Newbie to Slot Machine Restoration needs help!

Postby cmthomson1@gmail.com » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:37 pm

Maybe this will help. This is Marshall Fey phone number. 775-826-2607. Good luck. It’s a great hobby. Charlie Thomson
cmthomson1@gmail.com

Postby TrinityB » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:11 pm

Thank you so much :)
I called and was able to order the Mills Slot Machines: The complete Service Manual 1906-1969!

Mr. Fey is 95 years old! Bless his heart, I could have chatted his ear off if I knew more of what questions I might have. He did, without any hesitation, explain the removal of the mechanism from the case. If he lived a little closer I would bake some cookies and invite him for tea!
TrinityB

Postby Fiddlehead » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:40 pm

Here's a Youtube video that should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktBhZAgB3ZI
Fiddlehead

Postby marsonion » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:47 pm

Fiddlehead wrote:Here's a Youtube video that should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktBhZAgB3ZI

Beat me to it! Here's another (skip to about 7:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g11qBe3qdY
marsonion

Postby TrinityB » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:15 pm

Can't wait to get books and start cleaning this puppy up... Any suggestions on what NOT to clean? Marshall says he uses "paint thinner" to clean up the old grease and shavings... I have some really long q-tips, that should work.

Also, we found that there is a problem with the strips on the reels... no orange on middle reel... again, Marshall said "shady operator" and suggested replacing the reels... any ideas for who to get parts from?

Thank you all so much for your willingness to help!
TrinityB

Postby mazzeosa17 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:40 am

I use a kerosene based solvent to clean the mechanism instead of paint thinner. I use old toothbrushes to clean the mechanism with the solvent. I get the solvent at the hardware or auto parts store, mixing it about 6-8 parts kerosene to 1 part solvent. Note that you don't want to get that solvent on the paper reel strips. You also want to make sure no oil gets on the payout slides after they're clean and dry. Another resource for repair is the Mead and Geddes "Owner's Pictorial Guide For the Care and Understanding Of the Mills Bell Slot Machine". It's a very comprehensive repair book you should be able to find on line.
Some of the other Coin Op Collector Forum members should have replacement reel strips for you.
mazzeosa17

Postby TrinityB » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:28 am

Woohoo! Received both books over the holiday... Can't wait to start the cleaning.

Mr. Fey suggested that because the middle reel does NOT contain an Orange that maybe the reels were not original. I know I need a new set of strips for sure and will start by cycling through the payouts first.

Next is the issue of the random pays, it looks as though I will be replacing many springs. Question: Is it a good idea to buy a "spring set" and just replace all the springs at the same time? (Ebay: MILLS COMBO SET MANUAL / SPRINGS / SHEET MILLS HI TOP ANTQ SLOT MACHINE #MHTSM $91.00)

Thank you for all your help, I'm hooked for sure!
TrinityB

Postby mazzeosa17 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:44 am

I only usually replace springs that are rusty, worn out or stretched out or have lost their elasticity - will save money and if the original springs work, I don't want to have to try and make a new spring work correctly.
mazzeosa17

Postby TrinityB » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:45 am

Maybe someone can help with a couple of questions I have while waiting for the new springs to arrive.

1. When in the case and reels are spinning, reel 1 stops normal, reels 2 & 3 sometimes full stop and other times kind of "slush over" and do not seem to make a clean stop. When this happens it doesn't matter what is showing as a combo it pays 2 coins when it should not pay any. Is it a brake adjustment that I need to focus on here?

2. In the picture attached the "rod" seems to be in the way of the spring and is actually touching the spring. I can't seem to see a picture with this "rod" in the books... These springs look out of shape. Any thoughts?

3. There are what looks like a lot of brass colored shaving bits it the machine... What should I be looking for?
Attachments
20230104_084857 w arrow.png
TrinityB

Next

Return to Slots