5 Jacks or Reproduction?

This area is to discuss trade stimulators. A trade stimulator is defined as a machine that does NOT pay the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

5 Jacks or Reproduction?

Postby revel » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi CoinOp Collectors,

I have acquired a 5 Jacks machine from my grandfather and think it may be a reproduction. I can't find much information on this machine, so I decided to try here.

Thank you for your time,
Rob
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_5c90.jpeg
revel

Re: 5 Jacks or Reproduction?

Postby Richard13 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Turn it around open it up show us the guts and both sides of the lock. That may get good input for you.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby revel » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Thanks Richard. Here are a few of the lock and inside.
Attachments
IMG_0546.JPG
fullsizeoutput_5c91.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5c92.jpeg
revel

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:51 am

Rob:
I hate to be the bearer of sad news, but:
Your "Five Jacks" machine, is definitely one of the many total reproductions that have been made for several years.
The case is the wrong type of wood, with poor quality assembly & finish. Late lock on back door. You will notice all
of the many small gas holes in the castings, (especially on the back), which is a sign of poor recasts. There are parts
of the reproduction mechanism that are missing, and the tin shield is not like original. The biggest giveaway, is the
paper that is taped inside the door, which shows the "3 Jacks" machine, which is also reproduced by the same person.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby JHSS-1944 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:31 am

Well , it must be worth something , & no doubt fun to play. get it up & working, & no worries over the young ones playing it also.
JHSS-1944

Postby revel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:05 am

Thank you for verifying! Any idea on value? I see one online that went for just under $200.

It has been in the family since at least the 80's so I am certain my grandfather "rigged" up the machine! That's his tape! :D The kids really do love to play.

Does anyone have a photo of the missing parts inside?

Thanks again,
Rob
revel

Postby TheFatman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:05 am

Looks like a Royal Bell Repro
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby clubconsoles » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:33 am

Hi Rob
i reckon its worth the $200 you have stated.
i know its a repro, but don't let that make you sad, I think you had your own doubts anyhow!!
I hope it has not put you off finding out more about these wonderful mechanical devices.
There are plenty of Original coin drop Stimulators for reasonable money out there, why not add anotherto stand alongside your Jacks?
Maybe you would like to own more than one, they look great displayed together.
if you get an original coin drop it will be obvious the difference with the one you have.
Good luck
Nigel
clubconsoles

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:06 pm

TheFatman wrote:Looks like a Royal Bell Repro
Dave F

Dave: Royal Bell only made Repro "3 Jacks" in 10c play, as shown on the paper taped inside the door on this one.
They did them in 10c, so that you would know their repro from an original, and also advertised they were repro.
Most of their repros had a metal plate nailed to the inside center floor, with their name, and a serial number. If
someone removed the plate, to try and pass it off as original, you would usually still see the 4 small holes.
No originals were ever 10c play. All were either 1c or 5c. Royal Bell never made any repro "Five Jacks" machines.
There were two other people that made repro "3 Jacks" and "Five Jacks", in 1c & 5c play. Not sure if they are
still building them. Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby revel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Thank you for all of the information. It looks like a reproduction.

My 7 year old niece played this machine for hours today. The pennies kept getting stuck in various positions, but she would remove the back and remove the jam.

My question is how reliable are these reproductions when restored? It seemed if there are too many pennies in the 5 supply pots eventually it would clog up. Or when she turned the side crank too quickly and didn't release all of the pennies.

Either way she was all smiles. :D

Anyone need a 5 Jacks Reproduction in their collection? I'm more into 80's pinball or Chexx tables.
Rob
revel

Next

Return to Trade Stimulators