CoinOpRegistry.com now being created

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

CoinOpRegistry.com now being created

Postby Dave » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:34 pm

OK, like I don't have enough stuff to keep me amused. :D

I have decided to create the Coin Op Registry site.

Lots of other area of collecting have a registry. The pinball folks do, the Grand Sport Corvette owners do, so why shouldn't we???? Those sites are very popular.

I have been thinking about doing this for years. I think the hobby has finally gotten to a state where enough of the collectors are computer literate that this might actually work.

The general idea is that this site is for the person who is or wants to be a collator.

It will allow people to register their name and email along with machines that are in their collection.

The site will be designed in a manner where names and emails are NOT published. However, if someone wants to send an email to another person then the site will do that on behalf of the person.

This could be a very useful mechanism for people who are looking for rare machines to be able to communicate with owners of those rare machines.

Anyway, I have just secured the domain, http://www.CoinOpRegistry.com and it redirects you to a area within this domain.

I am looking for people who would be interested in giving me ideas about what the registry will do and also willing to test the new features as they come online.

If you are interested then please join the CoinOpRegistry group of this forum (http://coinopcollectorforum.com/ucp.php?i=176).

I have set up a special area of this forum where we can talk about this is more detail. Only members of the CoinOpRegistry group will be allowed access to the special area.

If you think this is a stupid idea then feel free to chime in (like I have to ask :D )

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Re: CoinOpRegistry.com now being created

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:02 pm

this is an excellent idea that is long overdue.
i have been kicking the idea around for years (also doing the same with vintage guitars, which i also collect), but, one only has so much time.
now...
this could be beneficial in many ways, but a very important one would be as an aid in establishing actual ownership in the case of burglary / robbery.
example:
joe's house gets robbed.
3, 10, or 20 years later, the machine turns up at a show, an auction, in a magazine, on ebay, or, in someones collection, and comes to light.
joe can prove that it belongs to him, as the machine is registered on the site.
there is no statute of limitations on stolen merchandise.
slolen merchandise is ALWAYS stolen merchandise, and ownership reverts back to the legal owner... with the exception of if he collected an insurance settlement on the loss, THEN, the ownership transfers to the insurance company, unless you re-imburse the insurance company.
i see this as probably being the largest benefit to a registry.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Dave:
I went to the CoinOpRegistry, checked 'Select', then 'Submit'.
Was that all there was to it? It didn't direct me to a sign-in page, nor did I get a confirmation.
So not sure if it went through or not.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Dave » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Bill:

Yes, that is all there is to it.

I was notified of your request and approved it.

You should now be able to go to the CoinOpRegistry area of this forum and read and post messages in that area.

http://www.coinopcollectorforum.com/viewforum.php?f=23
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Dave:
I was a bit hasty. There was a conformation in my mailbox.
Thanx, Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby bakerb95619 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:39 pm

I've asked this question in the past, but does anyone else have supplemental insurance for their collection? I use a policy from Collectibles Insurance (collectinsure.com). I have no stake in this company. Actually they have a clause that basically says if you live in California (as I do), and their company goes bankrupt, I have no recourse. Just wondering if others rely on their homeowners insurance (which from what I've read may be a bad idea) or if anyone is using another company for supplemental insurance? I'm paying $391/year for $40,000 coverage. They don't require any itemized list of inventory, or any appraisals.
bakerb95619

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:07 am

Not sure why this message was in the CoinOpRegistry thread, but whatever.

I also use Collectibles Insurance. They do require an itemized list for any machine that is valued over $5K.

I checked with my regular insurance and they demanded an appraisal. I told them that I was probably the most qualified appraiser in the state but they said I would have to use a "licensed" appraiser. In addition the rate my regular insurance company wanted to charge was insane.

Fortunately, I have never had to file a claim so I don't know how good Collectibles Insurance is. I just know they are a lot less expensive than any other option I have found.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby andydotp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:16 am

Dave wrote:I checked with my regular insurance and they demanded an appraisal. I told them that I was probably the most qualified appraiser in the state but they said I would have to use a "licensed" appraiser.

Brilliant Dave!
I feel your pain mate as I once tried to offer assistance to our Victorian (Aus) Govt Agency along similar lines for vintage machines.
Knocked back as I didn't hold an electrickery license for video poker machines. :roll:
a.p
andydotp

Postby altort » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:06 am

Dave
I am interested in joining the Coin Op Registry, but when I click on the link a get a message that says "Coin Op Registry is coming soon!!!"
altort

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:03 am

altort wrote:Dave
I am interested in joining the Coin Op Registry, but when I click on the link a get a message that says "Coin Op Registry is coming soon!!!"

Al:

The website is currently being designed. If you want to have a say in the capabilities and are also interested in testing it then join the CoinOpRegistry group in this forum.

Once you have done that you will be allowed into a restricted area of this forum where we are discussing the capabilities. Once the initial website is up you will also be allowed to visit it.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Next

Return to Just Chatting