Automatic Age magazine downloads available

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Automatic Age magazine downloads available

Postby Rick-okc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:23 am

For those that don't know, Automatic Age magazine was an early coin-op trade publication that ran from 1925 until 1945.
It is a valuable source for finding ads and information for various machines.
I recently found an ad for a machine I had picked up a while back that I knew nothing about.
Thanks to the ad I found, I was able to determine when the machine was made, who made it, and a little help with the wording on the instruction card that was partially missing on my machine.
The International Arcade Museum has obtained digital copies of almost all issues (I think they're missing three) and are available for download.
The problem is you have to download each individual page. That's over 25,600 page according to their web site.

So here's my proposition, divide and conquer.
I'd like to find some other people (4 to 6 people) to help download these pages. We then combine all our efforts into one complete set.
I've already downloaded all of the 1925, 1926, 1931, 1932, 1940, and 1945 issues. I'm starting on 1938 and 1939.
I'm looking for others to start downloading other years. Post here what years you are working on.
Once we get all pages downloaded, mail me a CD with what you did. I will be happy to collect all downloads and send out only to the people that helped in this effort, a CD or DVD with everything on it. Talking to The International Arcade Museum, they want to "discourage wholesale copying onto other leach sites and illegal eBay DVDs while allowing our visitors to enjoy the content as much as possible." I certainly don't want to cause any problems in this area. I just want some help obtaining this valuable source of information. I'm looking for like minded collectors that will honor The International Arcade Museum's concerns.
Rick-okc

Re: Automatic Age magazine downloads available

Postby WS65711 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:39 am

I can probably help with this. It would be helpful if you could post the link to where the pages can be downloaded from.
WS65711

Postby cpdretired » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:17 am

WS65711 wrote:I can probably help with this. It would be helpful if you could post the link to where the pages can be downloaded from.

http://aa.arcade-museum.com/
cpdretired

Postby Rick-okc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:05 am

Thanks for posting the link, cpdretired.
Rick-okc

Postby leospanner » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:59 am

I would be happy to help, just need to know what you would like me to download so we won't be duplicating effort.

Leo leo_spanner@hotmail.com
leospanner

Postby Rick-okc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 am

WS65711, please post what years you'd like to start downloading.
Rick-okc

Postby Rick-okc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:20 am

Same for you leo.
Rick-okc

Postby altort » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 am

I would also like to help
altort

Postby marsonion » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Just want to remind everybody that these efforts to download the entire run of the AA periodical are (presumably) only intended to create a backup in case the resource somehow disappears from the internet someday. It is a terrific and useful resource just the way it is, online, now. It's beautifully organized and even searchable-- but I've found the most interesting way to use it is to find old ad illustrations by going to the "Index to Advertisers" in each issue, which can usually be found in the last 5-10 pages of each. Note the page numbers in the index for the manufacturer you're after (watch out-- some issues run to nearly 300 pages!) and click on the page number listings to find those particular pages. The numerical listings don't match the actual printed page numbers exactly, but close enough. Then brace yourself to view hi-res PDFs of the splashiest full-page illustrated ads featuring your favorite machines, which you can then easily download and save (if you so choose) or print out directly, as you like. I've already pulled some items out of my "WTF" files based upon information and illustrations found in those old ads. These International Arcade Museum people are great!
marsonion

Postby WS65711 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:17 pm

Rick-okc wrote:WS65711, please post what years you'd like to start downloading.

I've started with 1933. I'm also trying to develop a kind of shortcut (Cheat :twisted: :idea: ) to help make the file selection for download go quicker. I'll report back if it works.
WS65711

Next

Return to Just Chatting