Watling jackpot tripping inadvertantly

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Watling jackpot tripping inadvertantly

Postby lsupcar » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:33 am

Hi,
New here and wondering if anyone has seen this problem and has suggestions for likely fixes.
I have an early model Watling Rol a Top 5c that will release the jackpot simultaneously with the final snapping release of the operating fork at the start of play. This can happen rarely or as often as every 3 or four plays when playing vigorously. It appears that the release lever is working its way up and out of the slot in the rotating cam. The jackpot resets correctly after tripping though the end of the reset lever is somewhat worn and even adjusted out to its longest setting, there is still some movement left in the reset mechanism on the jackpot assembly during the reset process.
My thoughts: Is the problem that it needs a more complete reset every time between plays to again allow the release lever to fall back down completely into the slot on the cam?
Is the problem at the release lever and something slightly touching and working itself free.
The machine is in a console that conceals the sides of the machine making it cumbersome to remove the top casting which would require removing the machine from the console. I can see the operation of the reset lever through the mechanism but not much of the release lever. Out of the case, the mechanism trips and pays off the jackpot correctly, and the slides seen to reset correctly afterward.
Thanks for any insight.
Bill Z
lsupcar

Re: Watling jackpot tripping inadvertantly

Postby TheFatman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:16 pm

I am thinking that the arm that locks it in is either worn or bent, or the lever it rests on is worn or bent. A pic would be helpful. But if you can operate it outside the cabinet, that doesnt answer for the linkage mounted on the font casting. That is where I would start my focus. My best guess is to wait for Watlingboy to respond. If you need help with a Rol .... he is the best that I know of.
Dae F
TheFatman

Postby watlingboy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Being in a console does make it more difficult to track down because removing the top casting is the usual way to see exactly what is happening. Not sure why the 2 piece trip lever on the side of the jackpot which holds the jackpot in the locked position is tripping because there are two springs on that part. One spring is always pulling that little finger into the slot to lock the jackpot and the only way that is released is when the trip knife, which is mounted on the slide stack, moves horizontally and hits the jackpot trip and pushes that little finger up out of the slot to trip the jackpot. Check that spring. Don't think excessive wear is your problem because the machine would explode before you hit enough jackpots to wear out jackpot parts. There are two types of reset arms that were used on the Watling mechs. One has an adjustment screw to lengthen the forward movement of that arm. The other one does not have that screw adjustment and is more difficult to change the forward throw. Anyway, if you have the screw adjustment type, is it adjusted too far in? That arm should just push the reset cam in far enough to reset the jackpot and not keep banging excessively on that reset cam. Check those things and we'll go from there.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby lsupcar » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:24 am

Thanks for the replies.
I will update when I have time to take another look at it.
Bill Z
lsupcar

Postby lsupcar » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:26 pm

Well,when I had time, happened to be almost five years later I am embarrassed to say.
As mentioned in my original post, visualizing the movements of the various parts hindered diagnosis. When my most mechanically inclined son was home during Christmas, we investigated together, and quickly observed that the jackpot reset lever was making contact with and moving the reset lifting lever with every cycle, even when the jackpot had not been tripped. We turned the screw to shorten the jackpot rest lever so that it did not make contact when the jackpot was not tripped, but traveled far enough to reset the jackpot after tripping. With that,it appears the problem is solved. Which is nice, because I like to load buffalo nickels in the jackpot, and it is a pain if they keep dumping.
Anyway, I just wanted close the loop here, as I know it is frustrating when someone posts a problem but never posts the ultimate fix.
Watlingboy had the right answer all along, just took me a long time effect the fix.
Thanks again.
lsupcar

Postby lsupcar » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:27 pm

Well,when I had time, happened to be almost five years later I am embarrassed to say.
As mentioned in my original post, visualizing the movements of the various parts hindered diagnosis. When my most mechanically inclined son was home during Christmas, we investigated together, and quickly observed that the jackpot reset lever was making contact with and moving the reset lifting lever with every cycle, even when the jackpot had not been tripped. We turned the screw to shorten the jackpot rest lever so that it did not make contact when the jackpot was not tripped, but traveled far enough to reset the jackpot after tripping. With that,it appears the problem is solved. Which is nice, because I like to load buffalo nickels in the jackpot, and it is a pain if they keep dumping.
Anyway, I just wanted close the loop here, as I know it is frustrating when someone posts a problem but never posts the ultimate fix.
Watlingboy had the right answer all along, just took me a long time effect the fix.
Thanks again.
lsupcar

Return to Just Chatting