Mills + vest pocket question

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Mills + vest pocket question

Postby radiorich123 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:22 pm

Can anyone tell me what the Mills vest pocket + function on the pay out flap is for?
Regards
Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Re: Mills + vest pocket question

Postby GEM » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi Rich, from what I understand, the plus feature gave the operator or bartender the option of giving away a bonus. It may be a drink, pack of cigarettes, or more money. These "Plus" models came from the factory with a jackpot counter inside so the operator could be sure the bartender was giving away the correct amount of bonus items. This was an option at the time, you did not need to purchase them with the "Plus" feature.
George.
GEM

Postby nvmos2 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 pm

Yes; just another promotional gimmick;
see thread entitled "Mills Vest Pocket Plus" under this heading;
it's discussed at length there.
nvmos2

Postby radiorich123 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:44 am

THANKS guys for this Info. on the Mills + Vest pocket machine.

Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby Newbie35 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:16 pm

I'm a little bit stumped about the Plus model. I've just purchased a chrome VP that has the counter present. Because of all I've read about the "jackpot" counter, I assumed that this would be one of the Plus Models, yet the award card is the regular 3 bars pays 20, and aligned the same as the other payouts, so definately not the "Plus" award card. Does anyone know if the counter was present on other models? Perhaps a feature that could be ordered as an "extra"? I also have one other question about the chrome models, does anyone know what years that they were produced? It seems that they are not as plentiful as the painted units.
Newbie35

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:45 pm

First, realize that, over time, mechanisms are often changed from one case to another since the mechanisms are interchangeable, so the mech in your vest pocket may not be the one that originally was produced with your case. (Unless of course you have one of the few survivors that has the serial number mech sticker still readable and it matches the plate on the bottom of the case.)
Also, the Plus mechanism paid out the standard 20; the Plus JP was paid by operator.

The VP has a long history; first produced in 1938 and made by Mills, and others including SEGA past 1959. Chrome versions started in 1940; clearly there were fewer of them due to cost, war-time restrictions, and it's bright and noticeable (part of the idea behind the VP was that it was inconspicuous and easily hidden under the counter). Judging from the serial number lists, the surviving VPs indicate approx 1 out of 30 are Chrome.

The JP Register was standard with the models that had Plus reward plates. It was not standard on non-Plus models, but that does not mean that it could not be added, especially when others started making/revamping VPs; Abco Novelty in 1947; Friedman Amusement in 1950, etc. Sega lists a JP meter in their Mini-Sega parts list (1959).

You will find The Coin Slot Guide 13, Guide to the Mills VP, very helpful with your new machine.
nvmos2

Postby Newbie35 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:48 pm

Thanks very much for the reply and information! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it and giving it a good examination. It should be arriving in the next couple of days so I'm eager to check out what serial numbers I can find on the mech and case etc.
Newbie35

Return to Just Chatting