Mills slot machine.

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Re: Mills slot machine.

Postby kilo92 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:56 am

I use "Breath Savers" in mine. Fits perfectly
kilo92

Postby OldCanuck » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I got some great help on my first set of questions and as I dig further into the preliminaries of what this project entails, I've got more questions that I'm hoping people can help me with. I'll post my problems/quandries/questions in separate posts so that its easier for people to reply.

First question/problem/quandry: the front lock on my Mills Double Eagle slot machine has no key. And it is definitely currently locked. And most bizarrely, or maybe not, the key slot freely spins/rotates but does not engage the lock (when I turn it with a flat screwdriver there is no resistance and I don't feel any tumblers or any other engaging types of things down inside the lock). My first guess is someone before me also tried to open this lock but turned into the incredible Hulk and demolished the inner workings of the lock with their flat headed screwdriver???

Any suggestions on how to recover from this situation? Is my guess right about the Hulk or do all Mill's front locks freely rotate until a key is inserted? Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1084.jpg
OldCanuck

Postby OldCanuck » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:24 pm

Mills Double Eagle - second question/problem/quandry.

Hi everyone,

So as I'm just starting to clean up the exterior of this machine, I noticed a hard stamped "N" in the middle of one of the casted stars. Has anyone seen anything like this before. Its more of an interesting mystery than anything I can do about ... but I love a good mystery and knowing the solution.

If I had to make my own guess ... some "owner" in the past 90 odd years felt that by stamping this letter on the machine would protect it from theft or help them re-identify it at some later date after it was stolen??? Perhaps the answer is less exciting than that.

Again, any help is appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1081.jpg
OldCanuck

Postby altort » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:52 pm

To answer your question about the lock, it is not your typical tumbler type lock that will not turn unless the correct key is inserted, this lock is a flat key lock that the center will turn freely but will not lock or unlock unless the correct key is inserted, the correct cut key will engage usually two or three slides stacked on top of each other and move together to lock or un lock.
Do not try to pry open or force it in any way, the FOK lock is offset to the side and hard to find and expensive, a lock smith should be able to open and cut you a key.

As far as the letter N stamped on your casting could have been stamped by an operator to keep track of slots needing service but not for a anti theft, could easily be ground down, the serial numbers on the casting would be a better way to identify a slot, I have owned several slots with many different operators markings stamped or even burnt in the wooden sides of the slot.
altort

Postby cmthomson1@gmail.com » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:02 pm

I have a FOK and the lock also turns freely without a key in it. Once the key is in it only turns far enough to unlock the front cover. If you need a key I would find a good locksmith and they should be able to cut you a new one.
cmthomson1@gmail.com

Postby OldCanuck » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:51 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to show you my restoration of the award card for a Mills Double Eagle. I saw them on eBay but I felt they didn't preserve/match what I'd be pulling out. I liked the fact that the original had some "gold coins" that must have been for another run at the printers. I did two restorations actually ... one preserving all the original printer errors and then one that I guess would be what was intended back in the day but probably the print presses couldn't manage (unless they went to a match higher quality press).

If anyone ever wanted help doing similar for some unobtainable award card ... I'd be happy to help.
Attachments
award card restoration.png
OldCanuck

Postby jmisatu » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:21 pm

Very nice work.
jmisatu

Previous

Return to Just Chatting