. . . who knows?

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

. . . who knows?

Postby edgeCity » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:40 am

Came across this on the web (where else?!) while researching the Buckley Criss Cross Bell slot:

buckleyCrissCrossDoc.jpg

. . . does anyone know what publication/book this is from??
Thanks!
Nelson
edgeCity

Re: . . . who knows?

Postby jsin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:43 am

looks like a page from " An Illustrated Price Guide To The 100 Most Collectible Slot Machines" by Richard Bueschel. However, I am not 100% sure as I do not own that book personally. Perhaps some that does could confirm.
jsin

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:06 am

It is definitely from either Slots 1, 2, 3, 4 of the " An Illustrated Price Guide To The 100 Most Collectible Slot Machines" series of books.

Although the prices are horribly dated these 4 books contain great information about machines. Of course, some of the information might not be 100% accurate (they were published back in the 70s).

These 4 books are probably what are responsible for me getting hooked on antique slot machines.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby nvmos2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Yes; the Buckley Criss Cross Bell is covered in Volume 1 of the series.
The page shown above, however, is from one of the early editions; 1978 or 1981.
Although the text remained the same, a different photo was used in the 1988 edition.
nvmos2

Postby JHSS-1944 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:00 am

Thank you everyone for the input on these !
I've seen these pages all over the internet & no clue where they came from. Guess I need to buy some books !!!
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby quadibloc » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:30 pm

Interesting. Except here, I did not find that page on the web during my search for more information.
But I did find two things. I found the claim that both the Buckley Criss-Cross and the Jennings Tic-Tac-Toe started to become available in 1947. And I found a 1949 ad in Billboard for the Buckley Criss-Cross that said that after they brought it out, imitations soon came out.
So the Buckley Criss-Cross is the orignal, while the more widespread Jennings Tic Tac Toe is the imitation? (And I just learned that, presumably much later, outside the United States, there was a Jubilee Tic Tac Toe slot machine with a similar payout structure. Apparently sometimes referred to as an Aristocrat, which would make it Australian.
I've checked further: the Aristocrat Tic Tac Toe was a still later machine, an electromechanical.
quadibloc

Postby MONTI » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:55 am

Just my little tidbit on the Buckley Criss-Cross!
Yes, the Buckley description posted above is on page 109 of Dick Beauschels' Volume 1, scanned pdf copy showing page number below so apparently the one posted above was posted on the internet with the page number cropped out!
All for of these books as Dave mentioned are Great Reference books that are interesting reading!
The escalator used by Buckley was rather unique as pictured below for those who are not familiar with it and also below is a photo of a "Illegal gambling" raid of the Buckley Criss-Cross slots!
MONTI

illustrated-price-guide-volume-1 page 109.pdf
(1.77 MiB) Downloaded 295 times

BUCKLEY Criss Cross quarter escalator pic.jpg

BUCKLEY Criss Cross quarter escalator back1.jpg

Buckley Slot machines confiscated.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Return to Just Chatting