Need HELP Changing Tennessee Laws

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Need HELP Changing Tennessee Laws

Postby Rick-okc » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Guys,

I finally got the nerve to contact my two state representatives here in Tennessee to start the process of getting TN code changed to allow collecting vintage gaming devices.
Attached is a cover letter I sent to both guys talking about why the code needs changed and a suggested change for the code.
A few of my arguments for changing the code are:
1. It allows local antique stores to display and sell vintage gaming machines without the fear of getting their machines taken from them. Income from sales tax.
2. It opens the door for coin-op auctions to take place here in TN. Income from sales tax.
3. It opens the door for a coin-op show, like Chicagoland, to start in TN. Income from sales tax.
4. It makes TN a much more desirable state to live in if you are a vintage gaming machine collector.

I'm going to need a lot of help from everyone here on this forum.
I would like for everyone to contact my two state representatives and express why reason(s) 1, 2, 3 or 4 would help you or persuade you to do business in TN.

Here are their email addresses:
State Representative Pat Marsh: rep.pat.marsh@capitol.tn.gov
State Senator Shane Reeves: sen.shane.reeves@capitol.tn.gov

If there is ANYONE out there that has any knowledge about getting state code changed and has advice, PLEASE contact me. I'm a fish out of the water on all of this stuff.

Rick

Cover Letter & TN Code.pdf
(575.94 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Rick-okc

Re: Need HELP Changing Tennessee Laws

Postby MONTI » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:39 am

Rick!
Unfortunately your battle will be pretty much localized to your state as your Representatives will only listen to folks that can vote for them, if even then!
It is more about getting themselves re-elected to stay on the guvment gravy train then doing anything for the people of the state!
But what do I know as I'm stuck here in Kommie Kalifornia! :(
BONA FORTUNA My Friend!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby Rick-okc » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:04 pm

I talked to Pat Marsh today. He's one of my representatives here in Tennessee.

Pat says he thinks he can get Tennessee code changed to allow ownership of vintage slots, however, he asked me how many people will this change affect. I think that's a good question. I have no idea how many people in Tennessee own old slots and how many are serious collectors. Looking at the COCA membership directory, there are only seven people listed in Tennessee.
He also is interested in knowing how this will create income for Tennessee. I've been telling him this will help antique stores and auction houses in the state. I also mentioned we are looking at starting a Coin-op show like Chicagoland in the Nashville area. Wishful thinking, but who knows. I'd be glad to help put something together if anyone is interested.

This is what I need from you guys.
If you know anyone in the Tennessee area that owns an old gaming device, please ask them to send Pat Marsh, or their representative in their area, an email saying they need this code changed.
If you, or anyone you know, is interested in moving to Tennessee, send an email to Pat.
If you think Nashville would be a great place to host a coin-op show, send Pat an email.

Here is Pat Marsh's email addresses:
State Representative Pat Marsh: rep.pat.marsh@capitol.tn.gov

Please copy and paste and send this post to anyone you know that could remotely be affected by this change to Tennessee code.

Rick Akers
Rick-okc

Postby Rick-okc » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:14 am

Guys,

I need you help now more than ever.
I just found out that the attached amendmemnt to change TN Code allowing ownership of antique gambling devices is moving froward.
I need you guys to send emails to my reps letting them know how important this is to get passed through the legislature.
Please use the links provided in a previous post to send them emails.
In that previous post are some of the reasons I've told them why this needs to be changed. Point out one or two of those reasons when you send an email, unless you have your own input.

With your help, I hope we can get TN out of the stone age.

Rick

AN ACT to amend TN Code.pdf
(29.36 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Rick-okc

Postby nvmos2 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:46 pm

Kudos to Rick!!!!

I saw elsewhere that Tennessee now has a 25 year law!
Rick is to be commended for all his hard work on behalf of collectors there (and everywhere really)!
Now that slots are legal there maybe some will come out of hiding.
nvmos2

Postby Rick-okc » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:34 pm

Hope they do,
Rick-okc

Postby BALTMANHD103 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:00 pm

It's already legal this year.
BALTMANHD103

Postby Rick-okc » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:23 pm

It became effective a year ago in July.

Rick
Rick-okc

Postby wallruss001 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:06 pm

Again, Thanks Rick for all the hard work. I have owned in Tennessee and my daughter and family are now full time residents of Knoxville. I will be bringing her Bantam once the house remodel is complete and then another machine for her game room not as finicky as the 1 cent bantam. Appreciate all you do for the CoinOP world.
Howard
wallruss001

Return to Just Chatting