Strange feature on the Tic Tac Toe Rol-A-Top

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Strange feature on the Tic Tac Toe Rol-A-Top

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:23 pm

OK, so I have had a machine in my collection forever. It is an all original Watling Rol-A-Top with the Tic Tac Toe pay feature. I bought this machine from the original owner's family up In Wyoming. I also have the original shipping crate it came in.

Anyway, it has just sat on display in my collection for decades and I have only seen a couple other examples.

A friend of mine contacted me the other day and he had just purchased one and noticed the award card says it pays 5 coins on cherry cherry bell / lemon. However there is no cutout in the disc for the bell / lemon and the machine pays 5 coins on cherry cherry anything.

He said he has a friend in France who has the machine and his machine is like this as well.

I went and looked at my machine and sure enough, there is no cutout for bell / lemon on the 3rd disc and sure enough it pays 5 coins on cherry cherry anything.

I know of two other TTT Rats so I contacted those owners. They were also not aware of this but confirmed it on their machines.

So, the question is why would Watling do this. I guess there are a couple of reasons.

1. Watling was too cheap to make up a new award card.
2. Watling did this on purpose to make people think the machine was being too generous and thus cause people to play it even more.

This is a very late model Rol-A-Top and maybe Watling changed the payout to be more with the times of other machines. This is also the only RAT that I have ever seen which has silver back reel strips and a barrel lock on the backdoor.
Attachments
IMG_9990.JPG
Tic Tac Toe (TTT) Rol-A-Top
IMG_9991.JPG
Award card for TTT RAT
IMG_9992.JPG
TTT Award sticker
IMG_9994.JPG
My wall of RATs
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Strange feature on the Tic Tac Toe Rol-A-Top

Postby watlingboy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:00 am

Dave,

I have the same machine, new old stock and never been played but not TTT and it has the silver strips and barrel lock also.

George
watlingboy

Postby Dave » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:20 am

watlingboy wrote:Dave,

I have the same machine, new old stock and never been played but not TTT and it has the silver strips and barrel lock also.

George

George, does the machine pay 5 coins on cherry cherry xxx if so does that match the award card?
Dave
Site Admin

Postby watlingboy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:15 am

Dave,

I will check and let you know. Award card is the same.

George
Attachments
12EF71DA-CDD3-4799-8BC6-618EDC38AAC4.jpeg
watlingboy

Postby watlingboy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:46 pm

So my award card is correct, it pays on lemon and bells but it also pays 5 on every other combination. Mystery why they didn’t make a card that showed 5 on just two cherries period. So mine is the same as the TTT, no lemon and bell hole in pay disc.

George
watlingboy

Postby Dave » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:39 pm

watlingboy wrote:So my award card is correct, it pays on lemon and bells but it also pays 5 on every other combination. Mystery why they didn’t make a card that showed 5 on just two cherries period. So mine is the same as the TTT, no lemon and bell hole in pay disc.

George

That is interesting. Are your strips silver? They look white to me in the photo.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby watlingboy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Dave,

So you’re more observant of my machines than I am. I was sure they were silver but you are correct, they are white, so the silver must just be on the TTT.

Thanks,
George
watlingboy

Return to Just Chatting