Pace Comet reel strips

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Pace Comet reel strips

Postby TinkerTech » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:48 am

Hi Everyone

I am a total newbie and have run into a problem that you guys probably have experience with. I have a Pace All Star Comet that was inherited by my wife from her dad. The machine is working fine but was pretty sad looking. I have new reel tapes for it and when I started to install them. i discovered that the machine I have has an ST-2 tape on the left hand most reel. To complicate the issue more a couple of the symbols had a tape over them identifying them as something else. The ST-2 tape (the old one) has the direction for placing the tape on the reel farthest from the coin slot. On my new set of tapes it identifies the ST-1 tape as going on that reel.

On our machine the tape that is identical to the new ST-1 is on the center reel.

Needless to say I am confused and would really appreciate comments from any Pace experts here. I have really enjoyed reading some of the Pace related posts and know I will learn much here.

My Father in Law had a family tradition where all the kids got to pull on the slot machine at Christmas until they won "something" and he would pay 5 bucks a coin. (this kept him from having to Christmas shop) The premise was that while he did not know if the kids had been naughty or nice, the slot machine knew. He promised a heart attack if anyone hit a jackpot! . It was all good fun and we hope to re institute the tradition with our grand kids. I have the machine cleaned up but have run into this reel tape issue.

Thanks for your attention to this much too long first post and thanks in advance for anyone shedding light on the problem.
TinkerTech

Re: Pace Comet reel strips

Postby mechanic » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:14 pm

CHECKED THE P/N YOU POSTED AND IT LOOKS LIKE A BAD NO. COULD IT BE SP? PACE DID NOT MAKE THOSE EITHER WAY. THEY USED MYSTERY NO. 1-2-3 OR A-B-C OR MYSTERY FORTUNE NO. 1-2-3. IT'S POSSIBLE THAT THE REEL BUNDLE WAS CHANGED FROM A PACE TO A MILLS. AS THE PARTS WERE SIMILAR THEY COULD BE INTERCHANGED ! I SEEN MANY LIKE THAT !! PICS ALWAYS HELP .
mechanic

Postby TinkerTech » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Here is a closeup of what was on the machine. It is definitely a Pace strip, probably original. This was on the left side reel as you face the machine. Two of the lemons had a label that said "orange" pasted over them.

How do I set the reels to check the payout combinations. Is it ok just to set up a combination and then start the clock? If not is there another way to set the machine to land on a combination for testing ? Sorry for so many questions but trying to learn here.

Reelpic2.jpg
Attachments
reelpic1.jpg
TinkerTech

Postby sam2002 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:45 pm

Not a reel strip
An award card for the gooseneck comet
New old stock
Attachments
3278FDF6-E08E-4850-B236-7D5822806A2B.jpeg
sam2002

Postby mazzeosa17 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Yes, you can check to see what the payouts are for each of the three reel discs/reels by how they correspond to the upper payout fingers going through those discs. You can start to cycle the mechanism, then put a screwdriver or other tool to stop the clock fan from spinning and completing the cycle. Then you check the payouts by the holes in each of the three metal payout discs (that correspond to the three reels), one hole/reel symbol at a time. Then write down each payout and determine if the reel strips you have are correct, or if you need a different set of reel strips. In other words, on disc one, the payouts are cherry - lemon - orange - plum - bar - cherry - etc for all 20 stops. Then do the same for the other two metal payout discs.

On my Pace All Star Comet, I had to paste some symbols over the original symbol on a couple of the reels, as that was how the metal payout discs were configured. I did that by making a color photocopy of the original reel strips, and cutting and pasting. That's because I couldn't find a complete correct set of reel strips.
mazzeosa17

Postby TinkerTech » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:24 am

Thanks for the info. I will get my new reel strips installed today. I have a copy of the payout card so I can check each combination off and paste over any inconsistencies with symbols from another strip I have. Your responses have been very helpful and as mentioned above we will be re instituting a family tradition started by my wife's father. "I don't know if you have been bad or good but the SLOT MACHINE KNOWS"

Some years ago one of the girls in the family had gotten into some mischief on a school trip. Nothing serious but she did get a little "notice" for it. Sure enough the Slot Machine gave her the absolute LOWEST payout that Christmas. She was convinced that it really knew!

Best of the holidays to all.
TinkerTech

Postby TinkerTech » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:31 pm

OurComet.jpg

Just a brief followup. Thanks for all your help and advice. I had to do some cutting and pasting on one reel but I think I have it more or less working properly. It had no paint when I started so I was sort of feeling my way along. Here is what it looks like now and I think the kids will have some fun with it at Christmas.

I may have to find another one to keep it company and learn more.

Best of the holidays to you all.
TinkerTech

Postby radiorich123 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:47 pm

HI Well it looks good now and some time you should refinish the wood. Injoy !
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby TinkerTech » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:14 pm

radiorich123 wrote:HI Well it looks good now and some time you should refinish the wood. Injoy !

The wood is on the agenda and the base especially needs attention. I did hit the sides with GoJo and removed about 75 years of grunge and nicotine followed by some furniture wax. i do plan to take some more time on it and get the wood sorted out.

Does anyone have dimensions or drawings for the Pace standing bases? I thought it might be nice to build a look alike of one of those for it. Also is there such a thing as a pace manual? I have heard rumors of one but have not found it title etc. I do have the reprint of the parts book.
TinkerTech

Postby clubconsoles » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:39 am

TinkerTech wrote:
radiorich123 wrote:HI Well it looks good now and some time you should refinish the wood. Injoy !

The wood is on the agenda and the base especially needs attention. I did hit the sides with GoJo and removed about 75 years of grunge and nicotine followed by some furniture wax. i do plan to take some more time on it and get the wood sorted out.

Does anyone have dimensions or drawings for the Pace standing bases? I thought it might be nice to build a look alike of one of those for it. Also is there such a thing as a pace manual? I have heard rumors of one but have not found it title etc. I do have the reprint of the parts book.

Hi Tinker Tech.
You have done a nice job on your Pace Comet!
I don't know of the pace stand you are referring too, the modern wooden stand are made for jennings and mills, watling etc and your Pace will look fine on one of those!
as for the Manual they are out of Print and the Pace one is hardest to get and commands a premium price.
See for yourself!
https://www.amazon.com/Owners-Pictorial ... 526&sr=8-1
clubconsoles

Next

Return to Just Chatting