Mills QT Firebird 10-cents

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Mills QT Firebird 10-cents

Postby rtmccurdy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:46 pm

Hello all. QT question. Enclosed is a photo of a 10-c Firebird that was sold at a Morphy's auction some time ago. After much research, I cannot find any period Mills advertisements that listed this denomination as an option. The casting has not been altered to create the smaller jackpot windows. Could this variation be for the International market? It seems inconceivable that Mills would create new front casting die for such a limited production. Any info would be appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_20210226_182915.jpg
rtmccurdy

Re: Mills QT Firebird 10-cents

Postby Mills » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:27 am

A lot of QT imported for the french market wasin 10 cents denomiation. the 10 cents denomination was change for 0,5 Francs ( 50 centimes). Machine worked with tokens.

More informations here : https://retro-jackpot.fr/mills/qt-chevron
37 slots machines.... May be more ?
Mills

Postby nvmos2 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:36 pm

Although I don't think I've seen a 10 cent Firebird and there are none in the serial number list, IMO this is probably a correct US machine.

Mills did modify the Jackpot capacity and windows on the QTs for dime machines; the capacity was reduced from about 110 to 50 dimes and windows made smaller as shown in photo. It was announced in 1936 advertisements that dime play was added to the QT line.
Firebirds were probably still in production in 1936.
The Firebird front casting was modified for less significant reasons; examples are known with sight variations and star patterns. With the introduction of dime play, they may very well have changed the window size.

Bueschel: "The prewar QT started out as a penny machine, moving up to nickels and dimes, and finally quarters."
However, he is not clear if that statement applied to all prewar models or just the Chevron, but the context could mean all models.
Last edited by nvmos2 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
nvmos2

Postby atac » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:01 pm

John Herook has or had a correct version with the cast-in 10c denomination as part of the reject piece. He listed it a time or two on ebay. This one has a button "sewn on" the reject piece. I think the casting is correct, but wonder about the button. Herook's was 100% factory IMO.
atac

Postby rtmccurdy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:12 pm

Thank you for your information nvmos2! I had read that production on the QT models had some overlap. The Firebird had several changes during production---hand load jackpot, 20/21 stars, denomination buttons/coin reject area, and now a 10-cent version. Always interesting!
rtmccurdy

Return to Just Chatting