Does anyone know what machine this reel strip was used on?

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Does anyone know what machine this reel strip was used on?

Postby tsparts4u » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:29 am

Hi,
Well, here is something that I have never personally seen before. It is part of a 1st reel 10 stop slot machine, but what machine was it used on? Does anyone on the forum know anything about this football reel strip? Any information, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!
Best regards,
Jerry (tsparts4u)
P.S. Here is one symbol that I have cleaned up. I have taken some liberty with coloring, as the original was pretty faded. Just thought that you might like to see what this strip could look like if it was reproduced.
Attachments
football-6B.jpg
10 stop football 1st reel strip-partial.jpg
tsparts4u

Re: Does anyone know what machine this reel strip was used o

Postby tsparts4u » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:11 am

WOW! Is this a hot topic .....or NOT?
74 lookers and not one bit of information. Where are all of the knowledgeable collectors?
I am guessing that this is not something worth reproducing. There seems to be no interest at all.
Thanks anyway, for looking.
Best regards, and stay safe!
Jerry (tsparts4u)
tsparts4u

Postby nvmos2 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:29 pm

Hoke Manufacturing made a football front for the Mills OK Front Vender;
it came with marque, strips and award card. They could also provide football mints.

However, I don't think your strip is from Hoke.
Your strip was produced by Wanta Mint Co, Baltimore, MD.
In 1931, they provided a set of football strips, award card and marque for machines by any of the top 5 slot producers.
$6.50 per set; could be installed in 15 minutes.
nvmos2

Postby tsparts4u » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:42 pm

Now.....here is a man that knows his stuff!
This is "GREAT" news. Thank you, nvmos2 thank you, thank you!
Is there any chance that a pictures of the items mentioned are to be found?
I would be curious to see what the award card and marquee looked like.
Very Happy!!!!
Jerry (tsparts4u)
tsparts4u

Postby nvmos2 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:43 pm

This is the only image I could find.
Not a good image but if you enlarge (and use magnifying glass),
I believe you will see the reel strips are same as the one you have.

I posted an image of the Hoke Football Front under the topic Slots - Revamps.

Football1.jpg
nvmos2

Postby tsparts4u » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:01 pm

Yes, I agree, that the reel strips on this machine are like the sample reel strip. Thanks, for finding the picture too! It's too bad that the detail is rather fuzzy, but at least I now have an idea on what kind of a machine those strips could be used on.
You must have quite a library of information that most of us don't have access to.
You sure have been a big help. Many thanks nvmos2
P.S. Love that Hoke machine picture. Maybe someone out there has one, and would be willing to share a picture or two of it......you think????
Best regards,
Jerry (tsparts4u)
tsparts4u

Postby mechanic » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:13 pm

THIS IS A PIECE OF HARRY HOKES VERY FIRST MACHINE CALLED FOOTBALL ABOUT 1933. THEN HE WENT ON TO DO A BASEBALL THEME MACHINE IN AROUND 1934. LAST IN 1936 HE DID THE SNAKE WHICH IS THE ONE EVERYBODY REMEMBERS. FINALLY HE DID AN UPGRADED SNAKE AROUND 1940. THE FOOTBALL MACHINE HAS NO KNOWN COPIES THAT EXIST. PUT TOGETHERS DON'T COUNT. INFORMATION COMPLIMENTS OF D. BUESCHEL. I KNOW NOTHING !!!!
mechanic

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:26 pm

I do not believe the subject reel strip is from Hoke. The Hoke Football came out in 1930. The only image I could find is the ad shown in the Slots- Revamp topic. Under magnification of the ad, it does not look like the reel strip symbols correspond to any of the symbols on the subject strip. Additionally, the Hoke Football game was played “ following instructions on special reels” (Bueschel). This indicates the Hoke reels probably had wording on them similar to the familiar fortune reel strips. Obviously, the subject strip has no instruction wording.

The only image I could find of the Wanta Mint Football is shown above. Under magnification, it seems clear that part of the subject strip is the same as the first reel on the Wanta Mint machine. The center bar symbol and portions of the symbols above and below it correlate to the subject strip. The symbols above and below the bar symbol on reels 2 and 3 of the Wanta Mint machine can also be discerned to correlate to symbols on the subject strip.

IMO; the subject strip is from Wanta Mint, not Hoke.
nvmos2

Return to Just Chatting