Shipping questions

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Shipping questions

Postby Catman88 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:27 pm

When purchasing a slot machine from eBay or Craigslist and the seller list (Local pickup only) have any of you forum members use any shipping companies like Uship or any other company to transport your slot machines across the USA.

Any recommendations or is the cost out of line.

Thank you.
Catman88

Re: Shipping questions

Postby capt7310 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:59 am

Hello, I've used FedEx and dropped the machine off and they pack it up and ship it, when they box it and ship it there basically insuring it because it was done by them. The kicker is it isn't cheap. Some buyers are ok with the shipping costs. Most sellers say local pickup only they don't want to be responsible for shipping if you get it damaged.
capt7310

Postby radiorich123 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:47 am

I shipped a Mills H.T. from the east cost to Calif. buy the UPS store that way and had no problem. The buyer paid and made shipping by the UPS store and I dropped the machine off at the local UPS store.
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby MONTI » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:57 am

I agree with capt7310 and with two additions, I have them cut down two wardrobe boxes to fit the slot machine with one inverted on the other to become a double boxed situation and they also will use an expandable foam if asked to that once it is placed in the box appropriately expands and actually fits around the handle, Etc. to make a very secure package, also have the seller take all the coins out of the coin tube abd the front jackpot or you'll be digging coins out of places they shouldn't go into! :roll:
I have been using FedEx for many years and have never seen damage occur as with the other guys!
With shipping out a lot a personal relationship with your FedEX location and shipping member is also a big plus and setting up an account with them is great as well!
As for expense they are very competitive and as capt7310 mentioned if they handle the entire process, packaging, shipping and insuring, if worst case scenario occurs they are a lot easier to deal with, especially if you have an account with them unlike the other guys! #-o
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby Catman88 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:22 am

My understanding was that (Local pickup only) ment that the seller is NOT going to move the slot machine one inch, they are expecting the buyer to come to the sellers location and pick it up, or make arrangements for a shipping company to pick it up.

I wanted to know if there were shipping companies that would pick up the slot machine at the sellers location, crate it and transport it to the buyer. I thought that was what Uship does?

UPS and FedEx won't pick up a slot machine unboxed from a sellers location, will they?

I guess the last option is to ask the seller if they would drop off the machine at FedEx and offer them money for their time, and then let FedEx box the item as you guys mentioned above.

Thanks for the above comments and advice, I appreciate any and all information you guys are sharing.
Last edited by Catman88 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catman88

Postby saloonkpr » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:29 am

Having Worked at UPS ..for Many Years... I ve Seen some Damage...Mostly by employees Trying to carry Heavy Pkgs...Like a Slot Machine, and Other Heavy Objects...Best Way to Get Pkg ( Slot Machine )to Address with No Damage....Cut Hand Holes in side 3/4 Way Up on Sides. .Employee Only has to put hands in to move...Does NOT have to bend Down and Lift from Bottom and Carry 100 Lbs...Have shipped a Few Slot Machines to Ohio from Ma...NEVER Had a Problem...
saloonkpr

Postby MONTI » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:59 am

Well the hand hold slots is a good idea but I hope they work better than "THIS SIDE UP" large labels as some of the guys who pre-load the trucks apparently can't read English or don't care! :roll:
That's where good insurance with a reputable company comes in handy!
Just Sayin'
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby watlingboy » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:23 am

Not sure about the liability if Fed Ex packs your item but if you pack it and insure it, insurance does not apply to antiques. They will take your money for insurance but if damage occurs they show you the clause that states that they do not cover antiques. They recommend you take out insurance with a 3rd party insurance company if you want your antique insured. Fed Ex does damage much less than UPS.

George
watlingboy

Postby RameGoom » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:57 am

Double-box and bubble-wrap every machine. Always support the coin inlet and handle with foam. And, DO NOT put any form of Fragile sticker on it. That seems to give the shippers a reason to abuse it.

Instead, put printed stickers that say "Concrete Samples Enclosed". They'll leave it alone and it'll make it safely.

This method has been tested and does work.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby collector1 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:22 am

A SOMEWHAT INTERESTING TWIST ON SHIPPING- QUOTE- CONCRETE SAMPLES ENCLOSED. I WILL TRY THAT WHEN I RECEIVE ANOTHER SHIPMENT.
collector1

Return to Just Chatting