Mills Melon Bell

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Mills Melon Bell

Postby 68eagle » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:57 am

Have a mills melon bell slot machine from around 47’-48’?? Wondering if there is any way to find the exact year of production. Looking on internet but no luck. Someone claimed there was list floating around somewhere. Would appreciate any help since I’m new to this forum. Thanks
68eagle

Re: Mills Melon Bell

Postby rtmccurdy » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:33 am

With your serial number (inside left on cabinet or stamped in the base back) you might be able to approximate the date if you go to the slot machine serial # database at coinopregistry.com. Some high top serials have a date listed for reference.
rtmccurdy

Postby 68eagle » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:18 am

Thank you, I do have serial number, so I will check out the site. Greatly appreciated
68eagle

Postby 68eagle » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:54 pm

In researching my mills melon bell slot machine. Discovered there may be a list of serial numbers and production year published by the late Dick Bueschel in the 90’s. Appreciate any information on locating this type of list. Serial number is #543637 but I can’t verify production year.
68eagle

Postby rtmccurdy » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:54 am

If you go to coinopregistry.com it will have a section that says "search serial number database." Click on that and it will then ask for manufacturer. Scroll down to Mills and click again. You will not that not many of the 1000s of entry have exact dates. Production of the Melon Bell style of High Tops usually is documented as 1948 but ad copy for all of the new High Tops started a bit earlier. Sometimes the paper labels inside the cabinet had inspection dates, etc.
rtmccurdy

Postby 68eagle » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:36 am

Thanks for your follow up again. I didn’t find my serial number in the registry when I searched. Purchased the machine a while ago and everyone has fun playing it. Always thought that it was produced in 48’. Removed the cash box a few weeks ago and discovered a paper key tag inside with serial number hand written and date of 1947 on it. The gentleman I got it from indicated the tag has been inside for years. It just got me courteous about the date. Haven’t removed the mechanism yet figured I would look when and if it dropped a token and I needed to replace it. I see from your message that these may have been earlier than 48’. It has the watermelon front and is in great condition. It’s been quite a conversation piece and great fun with grandkids of course. Have also enjoyed discovering some history about the machine.
68eagle

Postby MONTI » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:28 am

Your serial number you show places production somewhere in the middle of 1946 from my list which does not show every serial number but however does place it in that range!
Ciao!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby rtmccurdy » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:48 am

The registry is made up of submissions contributed by collectors like yourself so with the info you have you could register your serial number and add 1947 as a possible date of manufacture. By far my favorite in the high top line along with the bonus model!
rtmccurdy

Postby 68eagle » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:23 pm

Since I’m new to this forum, not sure of proper procedures. At any rate, thanks to rtmccurdy and monti for the information. Monti, it appears from your response that you have compiled some list of numbers associated with mills machines. Looks like my serial number falls between late 46’ and 48’. Can you tell me anything about how mills numbered their machines. Were they sequential or just randomly by year? Do the numbers designate anything like model etc? I’d like to narrow down the year before I offer it to a registry. The ones listed were not close in number and no years were listed with their numbers. Would be interested in any list you could provide. Thanks.
68eagle

Postby MONTI » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:51 pm

As I had mentioned yours was manufactured and left the factory in Mid to November 1946 by it's serial number you gave, if infact they left the factory directly after the serial number was placed on the slot machine, which should be on the machine somewhere, tag on the inner cabinet, stamped on the rear lip of the cabinet or into the casting possibly!
Their numbers where sequential and did not denote model's or at least not on the list I have which was given to me years ago!
I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't one of Dick Beaushel's books have serial numbers in it?
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Next

Return to Just Chatting