Question about a mills slot machine

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Question about a mills slot machine

Postby jpilot62 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:16 pm

Could someone help me with the answer to this question... I am new to slots and have only collected a few.
I have a mills HIGH TOP 777 with "mysteryPayouts" on the award card...... What exactly are "Mystery payouts" and how do they work?

Thank you in advance

John
jpilot62

Re: Question about a mills slot machine

Postby nvmos2 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:05 am

This is a gimmick to entice slot players to play the machine.
In addition to the regular payouts shown on the award plate, the machine will payout on some combinations not shown and that are usually not winning combinations.

If my memory is correct, the Mills 777 with Mystery Payouts will pay 10 coins on 4 different combinations of Oranges and Melons and/or bars. These combinations are not usually winners that slot players are familiar with, hence the "mystery."

Be advised, if your machine was "restored" by some monkeyjcack, it may have a Mystery Payout award plate but not equipped with the proper reel bundle to support the additional payouts, and will not pay on any "mystery" combinations (not shown on award plate).
It is also possible that some devious operator back in the day may have bugged the mystery payouts to prevent paying in hopes that the player wouldn't notice.
nvmos2

Postby jpilot62 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:11 am

Thank you for such an excellent explanation! i appreciate it
jpilot62

Postby nvmos2 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:34 am

You peaked my interest; I just noticed that Fey wrote in his book (Slot Machines);

"After 1950, new variations included ....... a variety of reel combinations, the most successful of (which) being the the payout used in the 21 Bell which lasted two decades. It had a revolutionary payout schedule which featured ten mystery payouts, not shown on the award card, ......."

TEN added payouts; I guess that was to ensure they came up often enough to keep the player interested.
nvmos2

Return to Just Chatting