Jack Brink

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Jack Brink

Postby watlingboy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:22 pm

Something may have been posted but if so, I missed it. Jack Brink has passed at the age of 92 I believe. I first met Jack in the late 70's when I was looking for someone to punch some discs for Watling denomination badges. I found Metal Form Products in the Yellow Pages, spoke to Jack and he said sure, he could do that. He punched them while I waited and then asked me what they were for, I told him they were for an old slot machine and he asked what they looked like. I just happened to have some pictures and Jack thought it would be fun to have one and that was his start into collecting and making parts. Jack was probably the finest sheet metal fabricator and machinist I have known. His Watling cash boxes are only distinguishable from originals by the stamping on the front, The font he used was slightly different and many people still think they are original. He also was a very interesting guy having owned and raced an original Porsche Spyder and Gull Wing Mercedes in the 1950's, I don't think he ever owned a house but instead lived on a boat in the marina with his wife, Carol and son, Nils. He was a big asset to the hobby with the quality parts he made. He was a good friend and he will be missed!
George
watlingboy

Re: Jack Brink

Postby jmisatu » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:17 pm

Nice tribute George. Your knowledge and experience in this hobby dwarfs most of ours and you too are a good man to know.
jmisatu

Postby watlingboy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:25 pm

Very kind, thank you.
George
watlingboy

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:36 pm

Sorry to hear this. I never met Jack in person but talked to him on the phone many years ago. Got some parts from him. He seemed like a really nice guy.

I didn't know you got him started in the slot business.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby oldslotman » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:45 pm

I also talked to Jack and bought some parts from him. Sorry to hear about his passing. Herb P.
oldslotman

Postby marsonion » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:35 pm

Very sorry to read this news. I'd had many phone conversations with Jack starting about 12 years ago, mostly because he was the only supplier of a number of late-model Caille replacement parts and paper. He was always very friendly and helpful, but even back then it was clear that he was decidedly winding down his operations pursuant to closing up and retiring. It came out in one of our conversations that he had also produced the (perfect) replica award plates for the Mills DICE-- and there was one detail that indicated that I had one of his mounted to my machine. He certainly provided a unique and very valuable set of resources to the hobby, and I'm very doubtful that anyone will ever be willing or able to replicate his craftsmanship.
marsonion

Return to Just Chatting