Another Golden Nugget slot... REal or REproduction?

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Another Golden Nugget slot... REal or REproduction?

Postby shortrackskater » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:46 pm

I read the description but, even 30 years ago they were making reproductions, correct? It just looks "too shiny" to me but the case looks like it might be original. Anyone know if it's real or a reproduction?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/clt ... 70162.html

The Escalator is jammed. My husband was a collector and this was his first machine from 30 years ago. Daughter has had it for 16 years and its been jammed for around 10 years.Need a good clean up on the mech. Home # show contact info
Cell show contact info
Attachments
01616_6knOuTe3NhQ_1200x900.jpg
00j0j_g5EbHFg2Xyc_1200x900.jpg
00r0r_6icr0Jwhqyb_1200x900.jpg
shortrackskater

Re: Another Golden Nugget slot... REal or REproduction?

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Not a real golden nugget.

Has a mills back door so I am guessing it is a converted Black Cherry.

I would pass on this one.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby montanaslots » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:05 pm

The whole mechanism is reproduction without a doubt. The castings may have been mills at one time , but the wood case , mech, and escalator are reproduction. The only unusual thing about this machine is that it is a nickel and not a quarter. In 30 years of doing slot machines and repairing them, I have seen only one legitimate Golden Nugget slot machine. A good rule of thumb is to be very wary of quarter mills machines which have one silver color mech and the later high top style timing lever areas to the left of the clock. One last thing to look for is that most reproduction machines have a higher than normal silver sword handle. The problem with reproductions machines are that the metal is too soft and therefore they are constantly breaking down if you use them very much. I can honestly say that you are far better off to spend a little more money and get an original factory machine that has the mechanism that came with it. A reproduction machine or a machine that is a mismatch mechanism made from parts are a never ending frustration.
montanaslots

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Now that I am looking at on a desktop computer screen and not my tiny iPhone I agree with everything montanaslots states.

Surprised they used a real Mills door on it.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby saloonkpr » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:46 pm

Montanaslots; Did I Hear a Little of OLE BILL There...RIP
saloonkpr

Postby shortrackskater » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 am

THANKS EVERYONE!!! MONTI AND LOU... I think both of you should start an online or live stream "antique slots 100" course. I'll be the first to sign up! :)

Right when I saw the back, it looked suspicious, so I didn't think of buying this one, but I'm amazed at how many keep showing up here in Southern California. I'd say the sellers have no clue and probably think it's "all original."
Last edited by shortrackskater on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shortrackskater

Postby shortrackskater » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:22 am

A little more...
I added another photo of the back that I didn't put in my first post. The escalator in this machine has the check detector level. Might that indicate that the escalator is original?
Attachments
00b0b_8VCL6eois5O_1200x900-2.jpg
shortrackskater

Postby MONTI » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 am

shortrackskater wrote:THANKS EVERYONE!!! Monti... I think you should start an online or live stream "antique slots 100" course. I'll be the first to sign up! :)

Right when I saw the back, it looked suspicious, so I didn't think of buying this one, but I'm amazed at how many keep showing up here in Southern California. I'd say the sellers have no clue and probably think it's "all original."

shortrackskater!
I think you have me confused with Lou out of Montana!
While we have both been around for 35 Years Plus doing antique slot restoration I am in California and as to live streaming "Antique Slots 100" I am too busy in the shop doing restorations for customers and restoring purchased slots for sale but I appreciate your thoughts!
Ciao,
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby MONTI » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:21 am

saloonkpr wrote:Montanaslots; Did I Hear a Little of OLE BILL There...RIP

Lou did sound a little like my old buddy Bill W. there, really miss Bill and our phone conversations!
Heck, all us old farts are dying off! LOL
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby MONTI » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:31 am

montanaslots wrote:The whole mechanism is reproduction without a doubt. The castings may have been mills at one time , but the wood case , mech, and escalator are reproduction. The only unusual thing about this machine is that it is a nickel and not a quarter. In 30 years of doing slot machines and repairing them, I have seen only one legitimate Golden Nugget slot machine. A good rule of thumb is to be very wary of quarter mills machines which have one silver color mech and the later high top style timing lever areas to the left of the clock. One last thing to look for is that most reproduction machines have a higher than normal silver sword handle. The problem with reproductions machines are that the metal is too soft and therefore they are constantly breaking down if you use them very much. I can honestly say that you are far better off to spend a little more money and get an original factory machine that has the mechanism that came with it. A reproduction machine or a machine that is a mismatch mechanism made from parts are a never ending frustration.

I agree Lou!
I love working on antique slots but I hate working on ones that either somebody else has gotten into and totally messed up or one with reproduction parts that never quite work and need filing and grinding, definitely a nightmare to get right if at all and the customer never understands why they are so costly of a repair!
I too have only seen one REAL Golden Nugget in my shop in 35 plus years of restoration work!
Take Care!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Next

Return to E-Bay