Ebay Scammer

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Ebay Scammer

Postby cpdretired » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:35 am

194012920825 rossatom2
There has been in recent weeks a eBay scammer has been listing over 75,000 auctions. I have reported this to eBay and they have taken them down. One that is relisted is a circa 1902 -ORIGINAL MILLS NOVELTY floor model CAST IRON -SUCCESS poker machine. This is under the above user ID and/or others. This may have been removed once you read this post but this is the photo that is used in all auctions.
This is the narrative used in all auctions. It may change a little referring to closing my pawn shop.
T­­­H­­­E B­­­U­­­Y N­­­O­­­W P­­­R­­­I­­­C­­­E F­­­O­­­R T­­­H­­­I­­­S I­­­T­­­E­­­M I­­­S U­­­S­­­D $­­­2­­­,­­­0­­­0­­­0

T­­­H­­­I­­­S I­­­T­­­E­­­M C­­­A­­­N B­­­E P­­­U­­­R­­­C­­­H­­­A­­­S­­­E­­­D A­­­T T­­­H­­­E B­­­U­­­Y N­­­O­­­W P­­­R­­­I­­­C­­­E O­­­N­­­L­­­Y­­­, N­­­O B­­­I­­­D­­­D­­­I­­­N­­­G A­­­L­­­L­­­O­­­W­­­E­­­D­­­, P­­­L­­­E­­­A­­­S­­­E D­­­O N­­­O­­­T B­­­I­­­D­­­, A­­­L­­­L B­­­I­­­D­­­S W­­­I­­­L­­­L B­­­E R­­­E­­­M­­­O­­­V­­­E­­­D­­­!­­­!­­­!

[b]I­­­F Y­­­O­­­U W­­­A­­­N­­­T T­­­O B­­­U­­­Y I­­­T N­­­O­­­W P­­­L­­­E­­­A­­­S­­­E C­­­O­­­N­­­T­­­A­­­C­­­T U­­­S O­­­N­­­L­­­Y A­­­T­­­:

***eBay@w­s­h­o­p­.­l­i­v­e***

W­­­E D­­­O N­­­O­­­T R­­­E­­­S­­­P­­­O­­­N­­­D T­­­H­­­R­­­O­­­U­­­G­­­H E­­­B­­­A­­­Y M­­­E­­­S­­­S­­­A­­­G­­­E­­­S­­­!­­­!­­­!

P­­­L­­­E­­­A­­­S­­­E C­­­O­­­N­­­T­­­A­­­C­­­T U­­­S F­­­O­­­R M­­­O­­­R­­­E I­­­N­­­F­­­O A­­­B­­­O­­­U­­­T T­­­H­­­E I­­­T­­­E­­­M O­­­R B­­­U­­­Y N­­­O­­­W A­­­T­­­:

***eBay@w­s­h­o­p­.­l­i­v­e***

A­­­L­­­L S­­­A­­­L­­­E­­­S H­­­A­­­V­­­E A 3­­­0 D­­­A­­­Y R­­­E­­­T­­­U­­­R­­­N P­­­O­­­L­­­I­­­C­­­Y A­­­N­­­D F­­­R­­­E­­­E S­­­H­­­I­­­P­­­P­­­I­­­N­­­G­­­!­­­!­­­!

W­­­H­­­E­­­N C­­­O­­­N­­­T­­­A­­­C­­­T­­­I­­­N­­­G P­­­L­­­E­­­A­­­S­­­E W­­­R­­­I­­­T­­­E T­­­H­­­E F­­­U­­­L­­­L T­­­I­­­T­­­L­­­E O­­­F T­­­H­­­E L­­­I­­­S­­­T­­­I­­­N­­­G A­­­T T­­­H­­­E S­­­U­­­B­­­J­­­E­­­C­­­T O­­­F Y­­­O­­­U­­­R E­­­M­­­A­­­I­­­L­­­!

T­­­H­­­A­­­N­­­K­­­S F­­­O­­­R B­­­U­­­Y­­­I­­­N­­­G F­­­R­­­O­­­M U­­­S­­­!
[/b]
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
cpdretired

Re: Ebay Scammer

Postby sam2002 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:27 am

Thanks for the heads up.
Ebah seems to be a hotbed of scammers for at least the last several months. It’s as though they are allowing this to go on. I have seen this listing you refer to x times multiple! It was originally and legitimately sold by cailledog on ebah.
Currently I have just won an auction for a belt buckle, I knew it was way to cheap but took the plunge and hit the buy it now price, no sooner had I done this and it hit that maybe I better take a closer look, sure nuff, zero feedback. Seller has no paypal account and is already saying he’s going to relist in 4 days if not paid the total in full $2.62!
I have no idea what kind of a ride I am in for????
Hopefully this just blows over.
sam2002

Postby cpdretired » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:52 am

All of the scammers narratives look very similar. Either it's a stock liquidation or a pawn shop closing. Every auction the I have reported was based in the United Kingdom.
cpdretired

Postby collector1 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:58 am

I LET EBAY KNOW ABOUT THIS FOR ABOUT A YEAR OR SO AGO NOW AND THEY CAN'T STOP THEM. THEY ARE LISTING OVER 8000 ITEMS OVERNIGHT AND THEY ARE NOW USING DIFFERENT PEOPLES EBAY NAMES FROM THE UK. NOW THE SCAMMER IS SAYING HE IS CLOSING HIS PAWN SHOP. IT IS TOO BAD NONE OF IT IS REAL. THE BEST THEY CAN DO IS TO WAIT AND WHEN IT FINALLY RAISES A RED FLAG THEY THEN TAKE ACTION. I HOPE THAT THE MEMBERS ON THIS FORUM WILL NOT EVEN CONSIDER CONTACTING THEM. BAD NEWS......
collector1

Postby Nepacoinop » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:17 am

ebay is a disaster for anything valuable
Nepacoinop

Postby cpdretired » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:21 am

I will buy/bid from a seller in the trade stimulator category. Most of the sellers are regulars.
cpdretired

Postby Walter Newton » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:08 am

Just a little insight into this "pawn shop" seller.

He/she is using a robot listing software, that is gathering all the pictures and details from other legit sellers, and posting them under one faked account. Even the account name is spoofed from an actual seller.

All this idiot has to do is push a button, and the software will list thousands of items in an hour, stolen from actual sellers.

This software is called Leapfrog, but when I look at the listings themselves, it's apparent that this person has modified the Leapfrog software to do things it was not originally written for.

All he/she has to do is snag one or two people, every time he runs his/her software, and he/she now has four, five or six thousand dollars in the bank.

And yes, it is hard for Ebay to prevent this, since the listings are spread over dozens of categories. I've seen this persons stuff in collectible watches, furniture, coins and other high-end categories.
Walter Newton

Postby cpdretired » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:20 am

I'm not a tech guy but you would think eBay could due something.
cpdretired

Postby Walter Newton » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:47 am

cpdretired wrote:I'm not a tech guy but you would think eBay could due something.

He/she is probably using an "onion" server to spoof his IP address, so Ebay can't just look for listings coming in from a particular IP address. And there are thousand of listings going up on a daily basis from legit sellers, and Ebay has UK divisions and other countries that they cover.

They are too big to be able to monitor each and every listing coming in.

They have to leave it up to end users (like us), to let them know when something is wrong.

I've spoken to Ebay about this person, and after I spoke to them, his/hers listing were taken down, only to appear again in a few days.
Walter Newton

Postby collector1 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:50 am

IT APPEARS THAT SOME ONE ON OUR FORUM MAY KNOW HOW TO AT LEAST STIFLE THE HACKER AND ANY INFORMATION THAT YOU CAN P.M. ME CAN AND WILL BE FORWARDED TO THE PROPER DEPARTMENT IN EBAY. I HAVEN'T LEARNED SO MUCH SINCE I STARTED TO READ THE FORUM POSTS AND THE INFORMATION I AM LEARNING IS REALLY OPENING MY EYES AS I AM ALSO A NON TECH PERSON. BUT I CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM NOW READING. IS THERE ANY WAY TO TRACE THE THREADS BACK TO THE SENDER? I WOULD LOVE TO GET RID OF THEM ONCE AND FOR ALL. I HATE LIARS (EVEN THE UNSPOKEN WORD) AND THIEVES WITH A PASSION. [-X :^o
collector1

Next

Return to E-Bay